• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for some travel

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I have the a-arm setup on my truck, and I'm looking to gain a little more travel. I've done a lot of searching, and read the article in the tech library, but I still need help.

I have some coil spacers for a 2" lift on the front. I know, it's not much, but I allows what looks like about 3" between my lower control arm and the rubber bump stop on the frame. I dont really want to lift my truck any, I'm just wondering if this is a normal amount of travel or if I blow through it and bottom out over every bump? Or should this be an ok amount?

My next question is about more down travel. I haven't bought better shocks yet, so as of now I know I'm not getting crap out of the stockers. But after new shocks, would maybe some fabtech upper control arms give more down travel? I also plan to do a shackle flip in the rear sometime. I hope this isn't just a stupid rambling post that doesn't make sense lol, I just hope someone will chime in and offer some guidance lol. Thanks!

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
That amount of space between the arms and bump stop seem normal.

The Fabtech arms may or may not give you more travel. They look like they are stock length. If you want travel, you will have to go for long travel arms. But from what it seems, that may not be what you are looking for. I guess if you wanted to you could try the Fabtech arms to see if you got more travel with them. But otherwise, you should start looking for long travel arms.

I think something like this: http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/x2-car-fr9800c.htm should work. The 2wd S-10 guys swear by this company for budget long travel arms. Otherwise, if you don't want that, you will have to start looking at Camburg, Blitzkrieg, H&M, ect.

YamahaWR200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah.. What he said.. I am running into the same problem with mine.. I looked into those Fabtech arms and I called some place I forgot where, about a set of (I think fabtech but don't quote me on it) aftermarket "long travel" suspension kit trying to buy only the a-arms, but they measured out to be the same as OEM. So doesn't help me any.

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
the difference with the fabtech arms is that they ball joint is at a different angle so you can get more movement before the ball joints bind.that's what limits the suspension travel the most.

YamahaWR200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the difference with the fabtech arms is that they ball joint is at a different angle so you can get more movement before the ball joints bind.that's what limits the suspension travel the most.
Ok.. Cause with mine, my a-arm literally will hit the frame. I have seen a ball joint extension which would be a great alternative to longer arms, but I can't find any for sale. The ones I found are no longer being made. (possibly catastrophic failures??)

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Like as in a stud extender? That does sound a little dangerous.

YamahaWR200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like as in a stud extender? That does sound a little dangerous.
Uhhh... Kind of? I believe there were two types I have seen. One is a stud extender, where it bolts on to the existing stud, and then has a stud sticking out of the bottom, almost like the steering extender or shifter extender that comes with body lifts. The other one, was just a really long ball joint. You (I believe) press out your old ball joint, and press in the new one, but the body of the ball joint sticks down another inch or whatever through the arm and had the stud sticking out of that to bolt into the top of the spindle. But like I said, can't find any for sale anymore..

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Well, that sucks. I guess you are stuck with long travel arms for the time being.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
most cheap lift options have been discontinued over the years. Your options are go big or go home.

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
Ok.. Cause with mine, my a-arm literally will hit the frame. I have seen a ball joint extension which would be a great alternative to longer arms, but I can't find any for sale. The ones I found are no longer being made. (possibly catastrophic failures??)
yeah, that'll happen.

i have these, which have a machined pin that is the same design as the stock ball joint, so no modification is made to the spindle

limit straps will help you a lot

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals