• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for some input on a dana 44ttb swap

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I want to do a 44 ttb swap but want to know what I'm getting into. I've read through the guide but have some questions.

Can I run stock first gen fenders after the swap?
Do I have to space out my coil buckets or can I run the stocks till I buy new buckets.
Do I have to have a lift for clearance issues?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If you don't mind the tires sticking way out (almost past the fenders), sure, you can keep your stock fenders. You may need to trim them considerably though. Most people go with bulged fiberglass fenders.

You might be able to angle the buckets outward and have it work... But no, to do nothing with the buckets will likely tweak the coil spring or cause it to bow badly.

I suspect a lift is required to clear the larger D44 differential housing, however it doesn't need to be much (a set of 1.5" STX Highrider brackets should be sufficient).

This assumes you'll be mounting the D44 at it's full width (I did a narrowed one myself and discovered little advantage to the D44 over a D35 other than the bigger brakes, which the D44 brakes can be mounted to the D35 as well).

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This assumes you'll be mounting the D44 at it's full width (I did a narrowed one myself and discovered little advantage to the D44 over a D35 other than the bigger brakes, which the D44 brakes can be mounted to the D35 as well).
Thanks I was just trying to see what I could and couldnt get away with buying beforehand.
If theres really no big advantage to the d44 than I'll just do the d35 less work that way.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The D44 gears & differential are obviously stronger, but unless you throw some $$$ at it in the form of aftermarket alloy axle shafts, you likely won't benefit from that difference, being that the axle yokes & u-joints are the weak link on either axle, which are the same on both (Spicer 5-297X, superseded by 5-760X).

The D35 is a quite good axle with a few small upgrades, detailed in the Axles section.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The D44 gears & differential are obviously stronger, but unless you throw some $$$ at it in the form of aftermarket alloy axle shafts, you likely won't benefit from that difference, being that the axle yokes & u-joints are the weak link on either axle, which are the same on both (Spicer 5-297X, superseded by 5-760X).

The D35 is a quite good axle with a few small upgrades, detailed in the Axles section.
In all honesty I'm only looking to run 35s and I only get to wheel once or twice a year. So I dont get to crazy. But the d28 wont hold up to anything so any axle is an upgrade

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals