• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for some a/c help

Cornexav

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've decided to try and resurrect my a/c, only problem I have is I have no idea what condition everything is in. My ranger is a 93 but it appears someone did a conversion, or at least changed the low side port to an r134a coupler. The a/c currently blows somewhat cold air only while driving 30+mph. Just wondering what people have for advice before I just try and buy all new r134a components and swap them in. Thanks in advance.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If the system still has pressure in it and compressor cycles on and off, then I would try just recharging it

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I finally went with Enviro-Safe R12 replacement refrigerant for my '75 Ranchero. This refrigerant really cools well and the large propane/butane molecules do not ooze through my original AC hoses.

True enough, the stuff is flammable - but then so is gasoline.

Cornexav

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If the system still has pressure in it and compressor cycles on and off, then I would try just recharging it
So like I said it blows somewhat cool air, but I don't know if the compressor actually turns on or not. is there a way to test the compressor with a jumper wire?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So like I said it blows somewhat cool air, but I don't know if the compressor actually turns on or not. is there a way to test the compressor with a jumper wire?
Start by turning the system on and looking at the compressor to see if it is turning on and off.

If it doesn't ever turn on turn the engine off and the key on and jumper the wires for the low pressure switch on the black tank back by the heater/evaporator box.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As said start engine, turn AC on and compressor should start to cycle on and off, it should do this even with AC off but turn AC on just to be sure

If its not coming on then either refrigerant has all leaked out, or compressor clutch is bad(unlikely)

Here's the problem, you can end up spending money on refrigerant you don't need and if there is a leak you lose that money, or if a part is bad and needs to be replaced then you also lose that money because system needs to be opened and you lose refrigerant

I would spend the money for an AC guy to test the system and tell you whats wrong, then YOU can replace the parts you need to instead of guessing at what needs to be replaced

AC systems are not complicate in how they work, the compressor COMPRESSES the refrigerant, I know duh, this makes the refrigerant very very HOT and under high pressure, which is "stored energy".
Then there is an Expansion Valve, when this HOT refrigerant is allowed to UNcompress/expand, it get VERY COLD as the "stored energy" is released
And you have AC
Now the compressor is either ON or OFF, there is no TEMP CONTROL for an AC system, the temp control in the cab moves the Blend Door inside the cab, that sends air from the fan either thru the Heater Core(HOT) or around(bypass) the heater core(COLD), or anywhere in between

AC system diagram here: https://www.2carpros.com/images/articles/original/ac-system-645.jpg

Home AC, refrigerators, freezers, ALL use the same system, compress the gas to heat it and then un-compress the gas to cool it
Repeat, lol

There are certain aspects like the "high side" pressure, and "low side" pressure that have to be in a certain range for the system to work, and not Burn Out the compressor or Blow Out a connection

An AC guy will have the high pressure gauges to test system and to see if system can even hold pressure, no leaks

You can learn all this and rent the gauges needed to test it, loads of videos on how to DYI automotive AC systems
Thats up to you

And as you may have surmised by reading the above, its NOT working above 30MPH, if AC Compressor is not cycling at idle, lol.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I finally went with Enviro-Safe R12 replacement refrigerant for my '75 Ranchero. This refrigerant really cools well and the large propane/butane molecules do not ooze through my original AC hoses.

True enough, the stuff is flammable - but then so is gasoline.

An old Ford tech I know told me a story about someone charging the AC on a bus with propane and leaving it parked in their shop overnight.

It had a leak, and sometime that evening there was a spark, probably from an air compressor kicking on or something but it burned the shop to the ground.

Granted, that bus probably had a huge AC system and a lot of propane in it, but still. Propane technically is a refrigerant but it is absolutely NOT something I would ever use! Even a small amount, say 48oz like our RBVs hold is plenty to blow up your average home garage.

Cornexav

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No ac systems aren't complicated, was just looking to see if anyone knew where I could get a wiring diagram of the ac clutch and switches alike, or if I should just swap everything out for like a 95 ranger ac system.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sure, here is the 1994 HVAC wiring, 1993 will be the same

Compressor clutch is always grounded
Climate control in cab sends the 12volts from fuse 17 in cab fuse box to the Pressure switches, if both are closed then the 12v goes to AC/WOT cut off relay, which passes the 12volts when its OFF on to the compressors clutch

Fuse 17-------Cab control---------pressure switch------pressure switch-------WOT relay----------------compressor clutch

Attachments

Cornexav

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I jumped the compressor, clutch engages. There is voltage at the low side pressure switch but idk what it is supposed to be. Getting a vacuum pump and gauge set to try and evac the system. But that's for another day, now I get to figure out why I've lost about half a gallon of coolant in a day

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals