• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking For Mustang 5.4l Swap.

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Ya so the wife is looking at getting a newer car, and now I have one more car to play with. SO I would like to find a good write up on the 5.4l swap into the stang.
thank guys.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Whats wrong with the 4.6? If anything id swap in a 4cam 4.6l. Slap a KB blower on top of it and hammer down. Or just buy an 03 or 04 Cobra to start with.

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Whats wrong with the 4.6? If anything id swap in a 4cam 4.6l. Slap a KB blower on top of it and hammer down. Or just buy an 03 or 04 Cobra to start with.
I can find a 5.4l cheaper than a dohc 4.6, then just Imagine a blower sitting on top of that. I would love to buy a new cobra, But I already own the 96 stang.
But from what I have read the 5.4l will slip in with no Issues other than getting adapters for the stang intake(truck intake to tall for stock hood), then make the h-pipe a little wider. then just take it down to the dyno tuner and let it rip. So I figure $200 for a JY 5.4l $400 for re-ring kit, and $375 for intake adapter. and $300 for misc. parts. So I figure $1275 for a 5.4l stang conv. But I would really like a write up with pics to help me picture this set up.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Good luck, I was planning on 3k for my SAS it turned into 5k. I think your gonna end up spangin alot more coin on it. It would be pretty cool though. MM&FF swapped a lightning5.4l into a fox body stang call project frightning.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It is not a 100% direct fit. Go to moddedmustangs.com, mustangworld.com There are a couple writeups on there about the 5.4 swap. You will have to fab maybe one or two things. You might need motor mount adapters too. It will be slightly front heavy, and you will be better off taking the stock hood off and using a fiberglass hood. Keep the truck intake.

Also FIND A NAVIGATOR LONG BLOCK AT A JUNKYARD IF POSSIBLE It is DOHC and put out the absolute most torque of any 5.4l out there With the exception of the ford GT, but its close to that one. The stock intake has better torque numbers than any aftermarket intake. The aftermarkets are good for better HP numbers though. Muscle mustangs and fast fords, or 5.0 magazine can get you back issues of some writeups of these swaps.

I have alot of these backissues, I have over 500 old mustang magazines, I will see what I can find too.

Frightening was a badass project, It was the white stang with the cervinis body kit right? i think I have those issues.

If you have any questions ask me, I have alot of stang friends down here, and I have read everything I can possibly get my hands on to mod my 2000 v-6 as well as my future projects. (By no means an expert, but I'm alot better with stangs than with rangers)

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I would love to go with a Navi Dohc. But I was reading that it is not a straight swap Like I doesn't fit, But if it does I all over that. Also dose anybody know if I can use the ECU out of the Navi till I get a new Tune. Trust me I keep CL-ing like a mofo trying to get a cheap 5.4 I found a navi a while ago but didn't think it would fit.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I dont think the DOHC 5.4 will fit. They are very wide. You should need the ECU with a tune or not. Unless you run some sort of piggy back ECU.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals