• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for lowered Gen 1 and 2 wheel/tire combinations

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I recently acquired my first gen 1 Ranger. I have always had 95-97 Rangers, so I'm looking for pictures showing fitment of various wheel/tire combos on 83-92 trucks with 3" drop beams up front.

As it currently sits. Stock front suspension, add a leaf in the rear with the rear hangers flipped. 205/75r15s on factory offset Ranger 15x7s. Plan is to put 95-97 drop beams/brakes up front and remove the add a leaf (if it has too much rake, then I'll do an axle flip and flip the hangers back to stock) Hoping that the current front tires will clear with a small fender roll, but I have my doubts.

Attachments

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Also...does anyone know if swapping to 89+ beams and 95-97 spindles will increase track width?

84tony

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Here is a pic of my 84, I am using 89-97 DJM lowering beams and 97 spindles and brakes. According to the tech library 83-92 had the same track width, it doesn't say what the track width is for 93-97. I have 1" spacers so the 2011 Mustang 17 x 7 wheels clear the hubs. When I set the drivers fender on, the tire was almost flush with the outside of the fender.

Attachments

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Here is a pic of my 84, I am using 89-97 DJM lowering beams and 97 spindles and brakes. According to the tech library 83-92 had the same track width, it doesn't say what the track width is for 93-97. I have 1" spacers so the 2011 Mustang 17 x 7 wheels clear the hubs. When I set the drivers fender on, the tire was almost flush with the outside of the fender.
What size tires? any side views with all the sheet metal on? I image the core support, battery, and cooling system will squat it down a little more.

84tony

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
235/55 R17, sorry I don't have any side view pictures with the fender on. It should squat down another inch or two once all the sheet metal is on and interior is in. Also, the alignment is way off, the top of the tire is leaning way out.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I recently acquired my first gen 1 Ranger. I have always had 95-97 Rangers, so I'm looking for pictures showing fitment of various wheel/tire combos on 83-92 trucks with 3" drop beams up front.

As it currently sits. Stock front suspension, add a leaf in the rear with the rear hangers flipped. 205/75r15s on factory offset Ranger 15x7s. Plan is to put 95-97 drop beams/brakes up front and remove the add a leaf (if it has too much rake, then I'll do an axle flip and flip the hangers back to stock) Hoping that the current front tires will clear with a small fender roll, but I have my doubts.
I like those wheels, I'd polish them up and get some lower profile tires. My 93 came to me with dropped arms and the axle sitting on top of the rear springs, I didn't realize it was lowered because it was in a car trailer when I looked at it. I had to build a new rear end because the 8.8 was junk but I left it mounted above the springs. I used 16x7 Mustang wheels with 235/65x16's($100 for 4 at Carlisle), ideally I'd like about 1/2" more offset.
New springs.JPG

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I like those wheels, I'd polish them up and get some lower profile tires. My 93 came to me with dropped arms and the axle sitting on top of the rear springs, I didn't realize it was lowered because it was in a car trailer when I looked at it. I had to build a new rear end because the 8.8 was junk but I left it mounted above the springs. I used 16x7 Mustang wheels with 235/65x16's($100 for 4 at Carlisle), ideally I'd like about 1/2" more offset.View attachment 88355
I'm quite familiar with how to lower a TIB truck...I am specifically looking for photos related to fitment on the 83-92 Rangers.

All of my other 2wd trucks are already on DJM drop beams.
IMG_20220410_195128261_HDR.jpg

PXL_20220710_212316052.jpg

I know the wheel arch shape on the older stuff really changes how things fit.
IMG_20180814_173333960_HDR.jpg

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like those wheels, I'd polish them up and get some lower profile tires. My 93 came to me with dropped arms and the axle sitting on top of the rear springs, I didn't realize it was lowered because it was in a car trailer when I looked at it. I had to build a new rear end because the 8.8 was junk but I left it mounted above the springs. I used 16x7 Mustang wheels with 235/65x16's($100 for 4 at Carlisle), ideally I'd like about 1/2" more offset.View attachment 88355
So that's lowered on dream beams with that tire size? No offense, I was expecting lower and smaller tires, though it woulkd probably look that way if it were next to a stock one. My plans for lowering a 2wd were on a first gen not a 3rd gen and the wheel wells are very different between the two generations.

You've really got me wondering how my 99 4x4 is going to end up. A 235/65R16 looks like it's going to convert over to about a 28" diameter tire. I'm going to be running a 29-30" tire with the suspension settled as low over them as I can get. Probably a 17 or 18" wheel instead of a 16". I said from the start that my goal was to look like a 2wd with slightly oversized tires, looks like I might pull it off even better than expected.

You really got me wondering what my truck is going to end up like.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'm not sure how much drop the beams have, they came with the truck. To hold up the 351 I bought the highest rate front springs I could find, then the highest rated rears because it sat lower in the rear. It was still low in the rear- even though it rides like a 3/4 ton- so I bought some aftermarket shackles and now it's pretty level. I would guess it's lowered 3-4" which works fine for me.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Round beam = DJM

There were a few makers of fabricated I beams in the past. All of them that I remember seeing were 3" beams.

The front spring rates change wouldn't have lifted the truck, just offset natural spring sag and heavier engine weight. Your drop looks comparable to PlumCrazy's truck. Given that you have drop beams, I'd say your 3" estimation is about right.

Please don't take my comments as a slight against your truck. I've never been around a 93+ 2wd for an appreciable amount of time. I guess I have owned two, but one was a freebie that I only saw long enough to pick up. It was stored elsewhere and sold on. The other was a wreck and the engine didn't stay in it long enough to get an idea of ride height. Otherwise, I've been around 2wd 1st gens and 4wd 4th gens.

Where your truck sits now reminds me of a stock height 1st gen sits. As such I was expecting a 3rd gen to look lower. Of course a first gen has smaller wheel wells and would sit lower stock due to the smaller tire size.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals