• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

looking for a basic welder.

whitebassbenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well Im looking for a basic welder to fix some things on my truck like the radiator support and maybe make a bumper. I have not looked into alot but lowes had one Lincoln Electric
Pro Core 125 Welder
it was on sale for about $390 which seemed like a good deal. Also found one at harbor frieght 230 Volt, 160 Amp MIG and Flux Welder for alot less. If i was to make a bumper it would be 1/4" but more like 3/16 all around. But i want it mostly for exhaust work and fixing the body mount and just messing around with. What do you guys think those above. I don't think i would use it alot for 1/4" though inless i do the bumper.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
I have heard a couple of people complain about those Chicago Electric welders not lasting too long but of course i'm sure that user-abuse could have something to do with it. I would personally go with the Lincoln if choosing between just those two. Believe it or not those cheap Campbell Hausfeld welders that you can buy at walmart actually hold up to some abuse. I bought their 110v arc welder for like 100 bucks five years ago and use it for welding stupid little things where I need a more portable welder than my gas mig. I have far exceeded the duty cycle just about every time I used it and it still works just fine. I have a friend who has one of their flux core mig welders and he actually took it into work and used it for a while on a daily basis. I think they cost around the same as the one at Harbor Freight.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Check into the Lincoln Mig Pak 180.

Excellent welder for the price. I got mine new for $599 Canadian.

fx2prerunner

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/97
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
mig pak 180, or millermatic 180, I got a millermatic 140 and I wish I had bought the 180. That being said if the heaviest thing you weld is 1/4" the 140 will be fine, I have welded 7/16 with mine by heating the steel with a torch first with no problems.

Welder0800

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Miller Rules

I have a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC. Try to get DC if you have the means because it lets you weld thicker metal. The thing with those lincoln "Tombstone" welders is they have alumian coils. Also you can only adjust 10 amps at a time

By the sticks the way go! 6010 root 7018 cover:headbang:

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you get a chicago electric welder that works for under 60$ you are getting a good deal other wise steer clear and look for something better. i had one but i would not buy another one. except to flip it for a profit. their problem areas are the guns suck, and the gas lines leak bad.

coffee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mig pak 180, or millermatic 180, I got a millermatic 140 and I wish I had bought the 180. That being said if the heaviest thing you weld is 1/4" the 140 will be fine, I have welded 7/16 with mine by heating the steel with a torch first with no problems.
I feel your pain. Did the same thing.:icon_cheers:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
hey i found this little welder here, from the reviews it seems to be what you are looking for in a welder. me and one of my buddies are considering buyin a welder to fool around with this summer and this is one that caught our eye.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can't imagine welding 1/4" with a 120v welder. I like big, heavy, deep one-pass beads. I think you need a 240V/225A simple stick welder for the big stuff and a small wire-fed flux-core for the exhaust and thin sheetmetal. I think $400 would come close to meeting both needs.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
I think you need a 240V/225A simple stick welder for the big stuff and a small wire-fed flux-core for the exhaust and thin sheetmetal.
That's basically what I have. I have an old Lincoln 225 "tombstone", and an older MATCO 135 that I picked up brand-new/never used from a buddy for $200. It suits my needs for now, and I do use both machines. Would I prefer to have a much larger 220V MIG, sure but I don't need it.

coffee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's basically what I have. I have an old Lincoln 225 "tombstone", and an older MATCO 135 that I picked up brand-new/never used from a buddy for $200. It suits my needs for now, and I do use both machines. Would I prefer to have a much larger 220V MIG, sure but I don't need it.
Exactly. I have the 140 Millermatic and the old faithfull "tombstone". I still get better beads with the stick welder. Mainly that's what I used for 35 years and just haven't had enough practice with the mig, but it's gettin better.:icon_cheers:

budro

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Be aware of the duty cycle on the smaller cheaper welders. I too have one of the cambellhausfeld's cheap walmart welders. I use it alot for tacking and light weight welding. But the duty cycle is not very long. Meaning you cant weld to long of a period in a row without it cooling back down again.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
weldingweb.com lots of good info. like TRS is of ranger's.The eeven have alot of info on the harborfart stuff.

myself I would look in to the hobart line, like the 135/140's that you can hook up gas to,if your looking to do body work and trying to keep it on a budget.

hobart 140's can be picked up for 450 from tool king

http://www.toolking.com/hobartwelders_500500a.aspx

chris_brown09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a small lincoln welder thats flux core and i've built several bumpers and an A-frame for a flat bed that picked up about 7 thousand pounds daily for the past 6 years and never had any trouble. I usually run 3 passes on thicker stuff

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals