• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for a A4LD

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Alright guys, been off the site for a while. My Bronco II has been at the trans shop since May 15th.... Yes May 15th.

They have not been able to cure the no upshift condition after going through it, trying a new valve body, cleaning the governor, new modulators etc. They even swapped all my internal into a new case, and it still will not work correctly.

They stated they were able to get it to drive and upshift for a little bit, then it stopped.

They have given up and told me I could come get it and take it for a second opinion.

So... I'm sort of stuck now. I don't really want to take it somewhere else as it will cost me a tow, and the I'm at the point where I don't think it is beneficial to try and fix my current trans. I think it would be best as a core.

I'm on the hunt for a A4LD for an 85-87 Ranger or BII, before they went to two solenoids (3-4 shift, and TC lock). It is known as a 3 wire. I'll let the shop it is at now install it.

I have found a few in junkyards in the Southeast, but I don't know that I want to gamble with a junkyard trans at this point...

I noticed Orielly's and Napa offer rebuilt replacements from All Trans Automatic Transmissions and Moveras Automatic Transmissions. They aren't cheap.... to the tune of $1400 or more, but I'm at the point where I just want this thing fixed....

I would think they would be ok, but I don't know??

Anyone have any experience with rebuilders that will ship a trans to a shop to be installed?

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So, there is a C5 on Ebay...

What all would be involved to install a C5? I know I would loose OD, but the C5 is a better and cheaper trans to rebuild from what I can find, and all hydraulic from what I can find which fits my no computer durasparked 2.8.

I know it is shorter over all length. Would I need the shift linkage for the transfer case too?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes a C5 from a 2.8l 4x4 would work, your computer would turn on the CEL full time because there is no working solenoid
But it is an on/off solenoid with no feedback sensor, so if you just stuck a 33ohms resistor between the 2 wires that should satisfy the computer

Not sure on the manual transfer case shifter linkage

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes a C5 from a 2.8l 4x4 would work, your computer would turn on the CEL full time because there is no working solenoid
But it is an on/off solenoid with no feedback sensor, so if you just stuck a 33ohms resistor between the 2 wires that should satisfy the computer

Not sure on the manual transfer case shifter linkage
Hi @RonD

No computer anymore, it was removed during the duraspark with HEI module conversion.

I'm strongly considering the C5, if I can find one. I would like nothing to rely on a computer anymore in rig.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I think a C5 would be a good option, if you're wanting to keep an automatic. You do lose override, but it's much more reliable. This long out of production, a rebuilt or used A4LD is a huge gamble.

My '84 2.8 2WD has a non-overdrive C3 auto, and it does just fine.

You've already Durasparked, right? So no computer issues.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think a C5 would be a good option, if you're wanting to keep an automatic. You do lose override, but it's much more reliable. This long out of production, a rebuilt or used A4LD is a huge gamble.

My '84 2.8 2WD has a non-overdrive C3 auto, and it does just fine.

You've already Durasparked, right? So no computer issues.
Hi @RobbieD long time no talk.

There is a junk yard that says they have a C5 about 50 miles away. If my trans shop can't find a A4LD (mine is going to be a core) I think I'll look the C5, maybe have them rebuild it and install it.

Biggest issues I can see are the shifting linkage for the T-Case (some guys in the shop at work could help me fab something up if I can't find one) and I would have to move cross member and maybe get the new driveshaft I just bought lengthened.

I'm willing to deal with all this to get the B2 back on the road!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
So the transmission shop went through the transmission and replaced internals and it still don't work, I'd say you need a different shop, if they went in and rebuilt that transmission and it doesn't work sounds to me as if the shop has no clue what they're doing, or they haven't done anything to it to begin with and are just wanting you out the door so they can work on newer stuff.

I had AAMCO about 30 miles away do the rebuild on my A4LD in my 88 Bronco 2 about 3 years ago, haven't had any issues at all since then. Didn't have overdrive at all they did the rebuild and beefed it up too, does great now. Had a 93 Ranger that a different shop did a A4LD rebuild on and that thing only lasted a year and it blew up again. So I went with AAMCO with my Bronco 2 and very happy with their work.

Time for a different shop, if you have towing on your insurance it shouldn't cost you anything, even if you do have to pay a wrecker bill its either that or pay a wrecker to come get it and take it to the scrap yard one or the other.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Good to see you posting again, @ford4wd08 .

Check with the junkyard if they have the vehicle the C5 came out. If it's a Ranger or B2 that might get you the small parts that you'll need for the conversion.

I really hate it that you've had such a bad luck streak on your B2. I hope that things go better with it.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So the transmission shop went through the transmission and replaced internals and it still don't work, I'd say you need a different shop, if they went in and rebuilt that transmission and it doesn't work sounds to me as if the shop has no clue what they're doing, or they haven't done anything to it to begin with and are just wanting you out the door so they can work on newer stuff.

I had AAMCO about 30 miles away do the rebuild on my A4LD in my 88 Bronco 2 about 3 years ago, haven't had any issues at all since then. Didn't have overdrive at all they did the rebuild and beefed it up too, does great now. Had a 93 Ranger that a different shop did a A4LD rebuild on and that thing only lasted a year and it blew up again. So I went with AAMCO with my Bronco 2 and very happy with their work.

Time for a different shop, if you have towing on your insurance it shouldn't cost you anything, even if you do have to pay a wrecker bill its either that or pay a wrecker to come get it and take it to the scrap yard one or the other.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying.

Couple of problem that I have.....

1) I drilled and tapped a hole in the side of the extension housing on the transmission. There is no telling what type of trash went through my trans in the form of shavings, etc. It was a difficult lesson learned to say the least.

2) They installed all of my internals with a couple of new parts into a housing they had from an Aerostar rebuild they did recently and supposedly got it to work for a short time, this leads me to believe my internals are FUBAR'ed

3) I don't know of another shop in the area that will touch anything this old

4) I want another unit so that I can rule out my trans, I am debating on a 5 speed swap, a C5, or another junkyard A4LD

5) My rig is not stock since I have durasparked and HEI swapped it, it is hard to get anyone to look at it around me

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying.

Couple of problem that I have.....

1) I drilled and tapped a hole in the side of the extension housing on the transmission. There is no telling what type of trash went through my trans in the form of shavings, etc. It was a difficult lesson learned to say the least.

2) They installed all of my internals with a couple of new parts into a housing they had from an Aerostar rebuild they did recently and supposedly got it to work for a short time, this leads me to believe my internals are FUBAR'ed

3) I don't know of another shop in the area that will touch anything this old

4) I want another unit so that I can rule out my trans, I am debating on a 5 speed swap, a C5, or another junkyard A4LD

5) My rig is not stock since I have durasparked and HEI swapped it, it is hard to get anyone to look at it around me
I've said if my A4LD in my Bronco 2 fails again I'm getting a C5 LOL. I was told the C5 or a C3 would require changing the shift linkage, so you'd have to find the linkage and the shifter as well if you went that route, but it would do away with the electronics of the A4LD and you'd lose overdrive, but I'd rather lose overdrive and have a more reliable transmission going to a C5.

If they tore your transmission apart to replace internals it would have cleaned out any possible debris in the case from drilling the hole in it, that is if they were a good shop and cleaned the case and hard parts prior to replacing the internals. So, that shouldn't have been an issue after the rebuild.

At this point with the stuff the shop has done you've already got a pretty good sized bill at that shop. I'd just pull an A4LD from the salvage yard and have the shop rebuild it and go from there. Or go the other route and get a C5 and skip the A4LD mess LOL.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've said if my A4LD in my Bronco 2 fails again I'm getting a C5 LOL. I was told the C5 or a C3 would require changing the shift linkage, so you'd have to find the linkage and the shifter as well if you went that route, but it would do away with the electronics of the A4LD and you'd lose overdrive, but I'd rather lose overdrive and have a more reliable transmission going to a C5.

If they tore your transmission apart to replace internals it would have cleaned out any possible debris in the case from drilling the hole in it, that is if they were a good shop and cleaned the case and hard parts prior to replacing the internals. So, that shouldn't have been an issue after the rebuild.

At this point with the stuff the shop has done you've already got a pretty good sized bill at that shop. I'd just pull an A4LD from the salvage yard and have the shop rebuild it and go from there. Or go the other route and get a C5 and skip the A4LD mess LOL.
My understanding with the shop is I don't owe them anything for what they have done so far because they couldn't fix it.

I'm debating my options. Supposed to talk with the shop owner again today.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
just a thought... could it be a wiring problem/ computer/pcm issue? seems like the shop did everything needed to fix the mechanical aspect of it.

AJ

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
just a thought... could it be a wiring problem/ computer/pcm issue? seems like the shop did everything needed to fix the mechanical aspect of it.

AJ
This is first version of the A4LD. There are no computer controls other than the Torque Converter Lock up. This happens after it shifts into 4th gear above 55 mph or so.

My understanding is that this trans will shift at least 1 - 4 gears without any electric input. This is controlled with the vacuum modulator, governor, and valve body.

By switching valve bodies (like they claim they have) that would eliminate any electric gremlins.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good to see you posting again, @ford4wd08 .

Check with the junkyard if they have the vehicle the C5 came out. If it's a Ranger or B2 that might get you the small parts that you'll need for the conversion.

I really hate it that you've had such a bad luck streak on your B2. I hope that things go better with it.
Hey @RobbieD

How hard was your manual conversion? I think the biggest hold up for me, would be finding the pedal assemblies..... I think if I go that route, I would need an entire loaner car.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Hey @RobbieD

How hard was your manual conversion? I think the biggest hold up for me, would be finding the pedal assemblies..... I think if I go that route, I would need an entire loaner car.
It took 2 years, but I found the same year Ranger that had just arrived at a junkyard (a '90 2WD 5 speed Ranger donor, for my '90 Bronco II 2WD auto). I told them what I was doing, and gave them a list of everything I wanted to buy. Transmission, clutch pedal assembly, computer, flywheel, separator plate, transmission wiring harness, floor plate and shifter boot; all of these were needed. I also got the steering column, instrument cluster, drive shaft, starter and few other odds, ends and hardware, to make the installation cleaner and for general spares.

Yours would be an easier conversion, being first generation, as you won't have to deal with the auto shifter on the column and PRND2L display in the cluster. Don't quote me, but I *think* that if you use an M5OD your driveshaft (new, right?) could be reused as is. I just don't know for sure, especially on a 4WD. I'm also not sure about the transmission crossmember on first gens; on mine they were the same, auto or manual.

If you can find the right donor, it helps a lot to get all of the needed parts at the same time. You'll want to go with a new master and slave cylinder (pre-bled is the way to go), new clutch disc minimum. Have the donor flywheel surfaced, or buy new (they're actually pretty cheap). A new pressure plate is also a good idea.

The conversion itself is just basic wrenching; no rocket science needed.

The A4LD is actually a nice transmission when they work, but I just prefer a stick anyway.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals