• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for 17" or 18" wheel/rim ideas

Milkman5687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Vision turbine 353.
16x8. That's the gun Metal version they also offer them in flat black

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had guessed Vision, but they're calling that gun metal? Where's the gray? Might not be chrome, but it's so shiny that it looks like it in the pictures.

I'm specifically looking for a 17 or 18 inch wheel, but that would be why I couldn't find that particular wheel on their website. I did see the 16s in our lug pattern, but not 17s.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Found those Rubicon wheels with the proper bolt pattern, but it looks like they only have 15" or 16" diameter:

These are similar as well, and can be had in a 17"

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Found those Rubicon wheels with the proper bolt pattern, but it looks like they only have 15" or 16" diameter:

These are similar as well, and can be had in a 17"

Wow, for an all black wheel that nails it!

I wasn;t expecting you to go looking for those wheels in the correct lug pattern, but thank you for trying. It is just as well that they aren;t the right size, I actually like the one you found better. I think thats going to the top of my list for an all black wheel. At this point I honestly don't know if I'm going that route or not. I'm going to have to do some studying and see if it looks like that backspacing will work. I know that's a concern with some Jeep wheels on Rangers, the backspacing is too much (or little) pushing the wheels out quite a bit. Goes great on an offroad Ranger, but not so much on a street truck type build IMO.

My 99 Ranger currently looks like... Well like a 99 Ranger 4x4 is supposed to. It's the factory dark gray metallic color, with chrome grill, chrome bumpers, gray plasstic fender flares, shiny wheels, and slightly lifted from stock. The next few months-year hopefully include a factory color repaint (Medium Platinum Metallic) with fender flare delete, powerdome hood (installed), 2001+ 4x4 grille, 05-07 front bumper, body matched rear bumper, and a decrease in elevation. I was planning to keep a little shiny in the wheels, not chrome, but atleast some accents like a machined lip or something.

The only vehicle I've ever had with a black wheel is the 16" steelies on my F-100 and even thgat has a chrome center cap. I like the look on that truck even though I intend to replace them with some slot mags after it's time for restoration comes. I've been of the opinion that the black works on it because the rest of the truck is lighter colored. Concerned that if I went black on a truck that's dark gray and black trim, it might be too dark. Got some thinking to do on that one.

Milkman5687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Vision does make that wheel in 17". Not trying to be smart about it but only answering. The spokes are polished Al and the inside portions are gunmetal.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did go check out the site before I responded to you last. You're right they do have that style in 17 inch, 18 inch too. They have exactly one wheel in that style that is a 17" and 5x4.5 lug pattern. It's 6.5 inches wide and intended as a trailer wheel. Too narrow for my intended usage. All other 17" wheels in that size are are 5x5 lug pattern or 6/8 lug. In other words, they don't have that wheel in a 17 inch Ranger fitment. 18 inch either for that matter.

The listing on their website that includes the 14" wheels and the 17x6.5" for5x4.5 lug pattern is trailer wheels for a companion trailer for a vehcile wearing the other wheels. I live that they offer that. Wish more wheel companies did. I also wish they marked the listing better for differentation.

EDIT: Also, thank you for a better description of the finish. It's difficult to tell that in your and the website's pictures.

Milkman5687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm impressed with your research sir

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I tend to go overbvoard when I get on a subject, that's probably why I never get anything accomplished.

Also I stand by them looking great on your truck, but the more I look at them, the more the 9 spoke thing bothers me.

The odd number of spokes just buggs me. The only time I like an odd number of spokes is when it matches an odd number of lugs. Usually that means 5 lugs 5 spokes. 8 spoke wouldn't be as bad, 10 spoke would be great. Generally I find wheels most asthetically pleasing when S(pokes) = L(ugs) or S=L*x.

IE:
S - L
4 - 4
4 - 8
4 - 12
5 - 5
5 - 10
6 - 6
6 - 12
8 - 8

7 is kind of an oddball. The only time I like 7 spokes is with a 7 lug wheel, but since I hate the 7 lug F-150s (due to 7 lugs) I got to hate a 7 spoke wheel.

To an extent I'm the same way on mostly solid wheels. Take an Outlaw or Baja style wheel for example. If it's got an even number of holes it's great. An odd number is going to lok out of balance to me. I don't have to know at first that its not an even number, but something is going to seem off and it's going to bother me until I figure it out.

I'd say that it's a symmetry thing, but that doesn't explain why I like 5 spoke and 5 lug patterns.

Milkman5687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Bottom line. You gotta be happy if you're spending money. You'll find yours

OldBlue61

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/55R17
My credo
'Thank God for the man who put the white lines on the highway.' - Michael Stanley
I just bought a set of the pictured wheel. I think this is the same wheel as one of the pics from post #7. Still working out exactly what to do to mount them. Mine's a 4x2.

322725724_5797819497011565_5177497036568130297_n.jpg

IMG_0393.JPG

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm probably not using those, but show us what they look like once installed.

OldBlue61

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/55R17
My credo
'Thank God for the man who put the white lines on the highway.' - Michael Stanley

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals