• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

(Long winded... Beware) Sputtering and popping, loss of power a

Maseman__46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
...in my defense... I've been up for 2 days and just got off a 16hr shift... 😬 So I'm guessing that regulator is the right one then? I'll grab another one (if he's got one) and see what happens then. Though with the one other injector having a completely different nozzle, I'm wondering if it isn't a higher flow injector, and maybe that could cause the rapid fluctuations? Not sure if one injector would make that big of a difference

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
When the ECM throws a lean code the engine will usually exhibit rich symptoms, cause the computers trying to compensate for the lean by dumping fuel.

I fought strange issues with my 2.9 for a year. Shotgunning parts at it before i finally did the injectors....and it cured it all.

Mine had 2 failed/plugged injectors that would make the ECM see lean then proceed to flood the other 4 cylinders. EFI is frusterating.

Maseman__46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Y'all hit it right on the head. The injectors were all fine, not really dirty, except one. Turn out someone put an injector for some Toyota on it. Not sure what the flow rate was, but it was definitely much higher. Swapped that out, and I could tell right away. Fuel pressure stabilized at a constant 35psi, and varied according to the rpm. Interestingly, the transmission started shifting into second and 3rd on the next test drive. Odd coincidence If you ask me. Thank you all for your help. This truck was about 2 days away from meeting a homemade batch of thermite... Y'all saved me a ticket for sure! 😂

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Y'all hit it right on the head. The injectors were all fine, not really dirty, except one. Turn out someone put an injector for some Toyota on it. Not sure what the flow rate was, but it was definitely much higher. Swapped that out, and I could tell right away. Fuel pressure stabilized at a constant 35psi, and varied according to the rpm. Interestingly, the transmission started shifting into second and 3rd on the next test drive. Odd coincidence If you ask me. Thank you all for your help. This truck was about 2 days away from meeting a homemade batch of thermite... Y'all saved me a ticket for sure! 😂
Glad to hear we could help.

Just remember....never give up on old stuff. It maybe frusterating at times but they dont make more.....and every car guy has a duty to keep it around for future generations.

Maseman__46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sure makes me realize just how much I take my autel scanner for granted... Tho It was by far more of a challenge than my 1992 d21. Not that it's a fair comparison, haha

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Sure makes me realize just how much I take my autel scanner for granted... Tho It was by far more of a challenge than my 1992 d21. Not that it's a fair comparison, haha
I come from the world of carburation. I had a helluva time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals