• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Long time stalker, finally decided to join to see if i could get some help and possibly help somebody.

86_Ranger351W

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
351 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
I have read several posts over the years about headers, transmissions, and other options on my build. I have been working on this build for a while and due to "life happening" I've had to put it on the back burner for a while more than a couple times. I have recently been able to blow the dust off the old project yet again and decided to join this forum so I could bounce ideas, possibly track down any hard-to-find parts, and maybe be able to help somebody else in the process. One of the reasons I joined now is to hopefully find somebody on here that may have a manual steering pitman arm for an early 2wd ranger (83-92) although through my research ford used the same manual steering box from 80 to the mid 90's in various applications from broncos, bronco IIs, rangers, F-series, and the E-series vans. I am converting my 86' 2wd with a 351W in it from power steering to manual steering with EPAS to save engine bay space and to eliminate that power steering whine those trucks are known for. I would really appreciate it, if somebody could help me with this search or has one they are willing to part with.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
There's plenty of ways to keep the stock box with electric pumps that make Different noise.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Isn't the common swap just an electric pump that hooks right to existing power steering gearbox? In that case, why would you need a manual gearbox? Or are you looking to use electric assist steering column?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Volvo EPAS is one way. Grab both pigtails that come with it. You'll need the main one for battery power, and the grey wire for ignition side on/off control. The pump takes 5-8 seconds to turn on after getting power.

Mazda PS pump is different and uses an alternator sense wire. Still good though.

You'll need a custom pressure side hose.

86_Ranger351W

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
351 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
I’ve got an electric assist column mount out of a 13’ fiesta and a module that senses the amount of assistance to give by how much effort you are applying (from ebay). I saw someone on here doing the same thing but with a Saturn Vue unit (GM :bad:) and it requires a manual steering box…. I’ve got a remand unit on its way from BBB industries…. Just trying to get all my parts lined up before I tackle this.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a manual pitman arm on a 90 Ranger 2 wheel drive I bought for body parts.

86_Ranger351W

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
351 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
Really!? :yahoo:…. Would you be willing to part with it? Or do you have plans for it?…. And if so would you be willing to part with the intermediate steering shaft that goes from the steering box to the column? 🤞 And of course what would be the price?

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Gonna be a few days before I can remove. Still don't know how much snow we are getting. 35.00 plus shipping.

86_Ranger351W

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
351 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
That’s perfectly fine…. We are supposed to be getting a few inches of snow too. If it would make it easier for you I would be willing to take the steering box off of your hands, I know sometimes the pit man arms can be finicky to get off…. The $35, is that with the steering shaft or without?…. If it wouldn’t be too much to ask, could I possibly see some pics? And how do we go about doing this deal? PayPal? Sorry, new to this :dunno:
Gonna be a few days before I can remove. Still don't know how much snow we are getting. 35.00 plus shipping.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
70.00 for all three plus shipping. Yes I have PayPal. Here are the pictures. Will need a zip so I can get shipping once I get them off and boxed. Thanks Ray

Attachments

86_Ranger351W

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
351 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
70.00 for all three plus shipping. Yes I have PayPal. Here are the pictures. Will need a zip so I can get shipping once I get them off and boxed. Thanks Ray
That’s perfect….. I really appreciate this! Message me in private when you take it off and we can exchange info and go from there…. Thanks again Corey

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just get a Saginaw pump from Speedway Motors, for example and replace the Ford C2 pump?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals