• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Long time lurker

k55f5r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Living the good life in So. Az. I'm currently on my 5th Ranger, but my first 4x4. I had to replace the control module to get it to work, still needs the H/L solenoid, but I'm mainly on dirt roads, not rock crawling. There's a reason every 5th pickup you see on the road is an old ranger.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
They're a bit more rare on the roads here in the rust belt... but I do see then.

Come to think... I can see three from the picture window in the living room. One never moves due to a blown up 3.0L.

Welcome to TRS...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

There is no high/low solenoid?

To engage Low Range an Automatic must be shifted into Neutral, not Park(manual needs clutch pedal down)
And foot must be on the brake pedal
Speed must be 0 MPH as well
Then move selector to 4low

You can "shift on the fly"(while moving) from 2WD to 4 high and then back to 2WD as you see fit
Recommended to only do this while under 50MPH

Ranger is a 4WD not an AWD, so 4high(or low) should not be used on dry pavement or transfer case can bind up
AWDs have a different type of transfer case

Last edited:

k55f5r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Screenshot_20220905-094234.png

Welcome to TRS :)

There is no high/low solenoid?

To engage Low Range an Automatic must be shifted into Neutral, not Park(manual needs clutch pedal down)
And foot must be on the brake pedal
Speed must be 0 MPH as well
Then move selector to 4low

You can "shift on the fly"(while moving) from 2WD to 4 high and then back to 2WD as you see fit
Recommended to only do this while under 50MPH

Ranger is a 4WD not an AWD, so 4high(or low) should not be used on dry pavement or transfer case can bind up
AWDs have a different type of transfer case

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that is the electric shift motor on the back of the transfer case, works the same as a power window motor
12volt and ground wires, the polarity of these 2 wires is reversed to get window up and window down
And in the case of the shift motor, clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation to move the Shift Rod in transfer case

The other 5 wires on the shift motor are position sensors/contacts, the 4x4CM(which you changed) uses these contacts to "see" what position the shift motor is in and how far to turn it and in what direction to get the Driver's selected position, 2WD, 4H or 4L

Shift motor is the only moving part of the 4WD control system so can wear out, but it most commonly fails from DISUSE
You should get into the habit of just sitting in the driveway and shifting from 2WD to 4H and then 4L and then back to 2WD once a month, don't have to drive it just shift it
This keeps the electric motor's brushes clean and the lube for the gear drive spread out

Using it a few times a year leads to premature failure, usually failed brush rotor contact, which you can fix by cleaning inside the electric motor

k55f5r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info, rond.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals