• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

long bed to short bed???

jeffminsc

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L diesel
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I am thinking about changing my 86 ranger to a short bed. I have a short bed 88 but it is 2 wd and the 86 is 4x4 so i can't just change the frame. has anyone done this? i looked in some of the forums but couldn't find anything. If you done it pictures would be great thanks Jeff

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
I don't think the frame for the two trucks is the same length. Check the bed length from the front wall (near the cab) to the center of the wheel well or the front arch of the wheel well. If they are the same length (I don't think so), you can just swap the beds.

If they are not the same length, serious bed mods would be required, and you would just get the short bed length anyway.

wesleypipesyo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 for now
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Massive 2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Yupers, I am that guy:

I am looking to throw a shot bed on my truck. What kind of frame modification are we talking? Moving bolt holes and tapping them? Or Cutting 1' off of the end of the frame? Either one is not too bad. I imagine the frame would be longer for the long bed, requiring some frame trimming.

The other issue is a wheel base issue. If I center the truck bed wheel well over the tire, will there be a gap between the cab and the bed. Or if I put the bed up against the cab will I need to comp cut the bed?

:icon_welder:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well at least you know how to make fun of your self!

Considering that the wheel base is different it is no bolt on swap and will take much more than just relocating bolt holes. The frame will have to be shortened between the front and rear wheels. The part of the frame behind the rear wheels will likely have to be shortened as well. This shortening the frame will also require shortening the drive shaft, brake lines, exhaust system, and parking brake cables. Then there's the issue of the fuel tank. There were a few different tanks used between the various configurations IIRC, you may have to change tanks so that it will still fit under the truck. IMO it'd be much less work to buy a short bed truck and swap over your cab, engine, and transmission.

wesleypipesyo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 for now
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Massive 2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm, That is good to know. I will be yanking the bed off in couple weeks to swap out the sending unit in the tank and to paint some of the frame. I may just cut some of the bed out behind the wheel well to make it shorter. The bed will be going to the junk yard eventually anyways. Thanks

wesleypipesyo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 for now
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Massive 2.3l
Transmission
Manual
And yea, if you bring back an old thread, you have to expect all the sky to rain down on you. I can poke fun at me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals