• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Locking Diff

TheGringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. I could really use some help because I'm knew to this. I have a 2005 Ford Ranger Edge 2WD, 3.0 V6, manual with an open diff. I'm pretty sure I have a ford 8.8" rear axle. I was wondering what I need to do in order to make it a locking diff? I am a college student so I don't have much of a budget. I was looking at trying to find something from a junkyard or along those lines. What do I need to get and what are the gears I need to know and all that good stuff? I would really appreciate it! Thanks guys!

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Basically it boils down to a carrier swap.

Currently the only ones I know of for the 8.8" are the ARB Air Locker (which I have), and the Eaton E-Locker. You will need the 28 spline versions. Unless there's something wrong with the gears you have, I'd re-use them.

NOTE: The Air locker will require an air supply. This can be done with a compressor, regulated to 85-105 psi IIRC, OR you can get a tank of compressed air and just remember to fill it up, or or, some other form of compressed gas, CO2 would probably be the cheapest. Whatever way you do it, just make sure you can regulate it or you'll blow the seals.

The E-locker only requires a 12v power supply. I have one im my 2500 GMC, so far it works good. I've heard some complaints about the 8.8" version, I guess it has a different operating mechanism than the others but I've never checked that out. Something about being ball actuated and having difficulties going from forward to reverse, like rocking it to get out of a snow bank.

You will not find these at a junkyard unless you are all kinds of stupid lucky. You can basically not count on it, they were never offered from the factory.

E-locker will run maybe $700-$900 or so, the ARB will run $900-$1100 + your air source (which has other handy uses mind you).

Installation should be straight forward, I actually didn't need to re-adjust anything in my GMC's install. Check the backlash before you take anything apart, and as long as you don't take the pinion out and your backlash is the same afterwards, you should be good to go. If not, you need to re-shim the carrier to get the same backlash.

Other and supplemental info:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-axles.shtml

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
In addition to what Ledd said, if you do happen to take the pinion out just to swap carriers, you did it wrong.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I thought there were automatic lockers that could be installed without having to take the ring gear apart. Did they stop making them?

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Weld the spiders. cheapest locker out there. Not necessarily the best option though.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I thought there were automatic lockers that could be installed without having to take the ring gear apart. Did they stop making them?
The PowerTrax No-Slip is available for a 28-spl 8.8"... I thought the Spartan, Aussie, and Lockright were too, though now it seems I drew blanks on all those WTF :icon_confused:

The Detroit Locker is available, though like the ARB the Detroit requires resetting of the ring gear backlash.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Yeah, they do, I was suggesting ones that are pleasant to drive with. The ones that replace the spider gears are kinda bangy and require a change in driving style. Probably not the best option if he sees snow either.

It doesn't sound like he does much real offroading, just embarrassed like the rest of us 2wd guys getting stuck in driveways, parking lots, traffic lights and wet grass. It is a 2wd afterall, and a stick.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
are the Air and E lockers able to engage on the fly? like when you are doing 60 and see a bunch wet grass ahead? obviously can't engage while a wheel is spinning.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
No speed limits for engagement (or disengagement for that matter)

But correct, you cannot engage it while one wheel is spinning.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Can't remember for the ARB, but my E-locker did have a thing about engaging at speeds greater than 3mph or something like that. I still have the literature kicking around at the garage back home.

I need to get Pjtoledo some measurements still too. Don't let me forget this weekend, spam my PM box or something lol.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No speed limits for engagement (or disengagement for that matter)

But correct, you cannot engage it while one wheel is spinning.
I have seen it done, what happens ain't purdy. :scare:

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I put LSD's in my Dodge 2500. The one on the left is a Mopar Detroit and the one with my hand on it is the Truetrac (sp?). The Truetrac is in my front axle and is far an away much better than the other one. It locks up and is seemless even in the front axle. The rear Detroit isn't much better than open diffs really.
I have a Eaton No-Slip in the rear of my ranger and love it. Does it have a few very minor quirks on dry pavement or snow? Yeah but nothing U can't get used to easily. In the snow U want to keep off the skinny pedal a bit or U will swap ends quickly, which makes nice 180's when U do want to as well!:icon_thumby: I don't know if U can get a Truetrac for the 28 spline 8.8...but if U can that is the way to go!!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Can't remember for the ARB, but my E-locker did have a thing about engaging at speeds greater than 3mph or something like that. I still have the literature kicking around at the garage back home.

I need to get Pjtoledo some measurements still too. Don't let me forget this weekend, spam my PM box or something lol.
that's on their website too.

TheGringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Awesome! thanks man. Appreciate it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals