• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Locating Fuel Pump Wire 1994 Ranger 4.0

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, I am hoping to install a kill switch in my 94 Ranger XLT 4.0. For extra safety as there has been an increase in truck thefts in my state. I can not figure out how to locate the fuel pump wire to splice my kill switch into… I found the fuel pump relay, but do not know the best way to find the wire after locating the relay… I have very little electrical experience but the videos I watched looked easily doable if I can locate the wire. Any help is appreciated! Next option is a battery kill switch but I don’t want to have to pop the hood every time I drive…

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Best place is in the cab

In passenger side footwell mounted to firewall just behind glove box is the Inertia switch

Looks like this: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachments/2010-05-31_211033_inertia_switch-jpg.77025/

Has a red button on the top

The green wire is 12volts IN from Fuel Pump Relay
The Pink wire is 12v OUT to fuel pump

Disconnecting either of these wires would kill fuel pump

Inertia switch is there to cut fuel pump power in a accident, there is a weight inside that will break the connection if there is a sudden stop or roll over

This IS a 20amp circuit so used a switch and wire that can handle 20amps

Just FYI
Visual deterrents are better than things like a kill switch which is invisible
i.e. "the club" or steering wheel brake pedal lock

A red flashing led that looks like an alarm is installed

You can get "travel motion detectors" to hang on the door, they are battery operated and would be place on hotel door to activate if door was opened, but a thief would think its an alarm and run like heck

Last edited:

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
where would I get travel motion detectors? And I am debating on the kill switch just because my ranger is starting to look really good and truck thefts have been increasing. One of our trucks at the farm I work on was almost stolen recently (of course many farmers leave the keys in their trucks though).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals