• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

LMC Polyvinyl question

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Im getting rid of my carpet and getting the Polyvinyl floor mat from the LMC magazine. My question is will i need insulation under it? im just worried about noise, if it will be noisy or will it absorb the noise like carpet. thanks..

steve63

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yep the insulation will definatly cut the noise down,just dont let the floor mat with insulation get wet,or it will trap water under youre insulation and rust and stink.:annoyed:

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
oh alright. the insulation out of lmc seems kinda spendy... know anywhere else i can get some cheaper?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
where you live, there is probably lots of moisture both winter and summer, so no matter if you use felt, foam, or anything else, you're going to have to air it out and/or change it regularly.
for sound insulation, i'd get something like the Dynamat stuff they sell on ebay. i guess you can buy similar stuff lots cheaper in Menards, Home Depot, etc, as it's the same thing they use for roof repairs: foil covered asphalt/adhesive on wide rolls.
the other thing i'd use is a large piece of a carpet remnant. cut the pieces to fit both sides of your floor and put them on top of the rubber mat. then all you have to do is pull them out and throw them away when they get too soiled. just cut new ones as you need them. you'll still need to pull put the rubber mat from time-to-time to let everything under it dry real good and prevent rust.
that's the way i do it here as we got so much sand/salt in the winter on the snowy roads.

Last edited:

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
alright. Another idea i had was to line x the floor or rhino line it. but thats still spendy anyways. but yeah thanks for the ideas.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have molded floormats on top of my factory rubber flooring, they work great at keeping all the crap in a easy to remove container.

The factory rubber floor has insulation under it, when I had mine out a couple years ago the floors still looked new.

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
they came out with rubber flooring in the older 80's rangers? haha didnt know that..

strvger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my truck has the sprayed in bed liner in the cab as well as the bed and along the lower body panels. love that stuff! you're right, spendy, but worth it if you can afford it. you can also try the Herculiner and a roller and paint rush. it works pretty good, but does need very good prep work to really last. good luck in your project.

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
your spray in, is it rhino or line-x or something else? how much did it cost just for the cab?

strvger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
line-x and was done as a whole package so i don't know what it would be for just the cab. you have to remember that there will be more labor involved because they have to take out the seat(s), protect the dash, etc. iirc, it was about $500 for everything. my cost was less as the same shop was also doing the paint job on my truck, so there was only one prep needed for both liner and painting.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they came out with rubber flooring in the older 80's rangers? haha didnt know that..
Probably more common than in newer Rangers.

People were not so proud to turn up their noses at base models back then. :icon_thumby:

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
haha yeah. I think ill just stick with the polyvinyl and the insulation lol 500$ is too much for a broke college student ;]

strvger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i hear ya there. the rolls of roofing foil are way cheaper than the dynamat when i saw it in my local home improvement store. of course that was after i had already spent the big bucks on it! looks like it would work equally as well. it will do a good job of keeping the noise out and the foil facing should help reflect back some of the heat you would loose there. i'd put it every where i could really. i did the cab sheet metal behind the seats with it and used spray adhesive and cheap suv carpet from wal-mart to cover it up and it did pretty well. i'm more for function than looks, so for my truck it's fine.
have fun with your project!

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
yeah thanks for everything! i appreciate it!

oh and by the way where are you from?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
HERCULINER works great. ive used it with much success.

yes 80s rangers came with rubber from the factory. hercuiner the floors, then put a rubber mat down.

it will be fine

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals