• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Little Ford Ranger working hard! Big trucks? Beauty Queens.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
my '72 Datsun pick up was rated as a 1/2 ton truck. Torsion bar front suspension, Leafs in back. If I could get it into the bed , it would move it. It overheated on my wife to the point it detonated through #4 piston. I fixed it with parts from a rusted out hulk with a good head. Harder riding than a CJ5 and the weakest drum brakes I've ever seen on a vehicle. It was a great little truck for a 30 yr old guy with an old house to fix. :D

Classiccarmartin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 (for now)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
lol you guys wont like this but I haven't changed the oil in 3 years just keep adding it
Self-changing oil system!
My 91 3.0 uses a quart every 750 miles. I figured I’d just put a new filter on every year and call it good!

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Self-changing oil system!
My 91 3.0 uses a quart every 750 miles. I figured I’d just put a new filter on every year and call it good!
750 Miles!!!! Im jealous mine is a quart ever 130miles 230k on the 2.3 though so its did its job.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Mike Tonon

I once compared the Ranger to a Model T, as they were relatively simple, logical, capable and there seemed to be so many out there during production years and even now still. Although certain parts were interchangeable for many years and it was becoming outdated.

One thing I’ve noticed, is that a lot of people in the states these days, have been convinced that they need to buy a big, fancy truck, with several extras. Not saying they’re not nice or never serve a purpose, but it seems that the last couple generations in America aren’t strong enough to use common sense. We’re being conned into spending all of our savings and then being like a slave to the system and we do it to ourselves. My take on it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I once compared the Ranger to a Model T, as they were relatively simple, logical, capable and there seemed to be so many out there during production years and even now still. Although certain parts were interchangeable for many years and it was becoming outdated.

One thing I’ve noticed, is that a lot of people in the states these days, have been convinced that they need to buy a big, fancy truck, with several extras. Not saying they’re not nice or never serve a purpose, but it seems that the last couple generations in America aren’t strong enough to use common sense. We’re being conned into spending all of our savings and then being like a slave to the system and we do it to ourselves. My take on it.
To be fair the Model T started it.

Tons of options and aftermarket accessories when they were in their heyday.

Mike Tonon

Yea.. but from the factory they generally were very simple.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1911 Model T car lineup. Lots of variety.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Take that little 2 passenger open runabout and drop a 5.0 Mustang engine with a 6 speed, a set of 16" chrome Crager wheels, dual exhaust and you have the ultimate "sleeper"
Grumpaw

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
? ok, you like to argue. Go ahead.
I like just like old stuff. They really got crazy with the Model A for options (and colors thanks to Chevrolet offering color options)

I was just trying to make the point that since the beginning options and accessories have always been gravy money for automakers.

Take that little 2 passenger open runabout and drop a 5.0 Mustang engine with a 6 speed, a set of 16" chrome Crager wheels, dual exhaust and you have the ultimate "sleeper"
Grumpaw
Gonna blow your cover with them fancy kerosene lamps and tubular horn though...

I have a wagon running gear made out of a Model A frame or something similar. The things a Coyote would do to that frame would not be pretty...

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know I use my ranger for anything I want. Lets see, this morning on my way to work there was a free fuel tank probably 250-300 gallon, and that got loaded into the bed. A little tricky with the cap on the bed. Yesterday we had to get some lumber, gravel and top soil from Lowes so I got the trailer hooked up and loaded up. That's no biggie. the 16' boards go on the ladder rack on the cap and the rest in the trailer. Truck didn't even feel like it had a trailer on it. Finally got my exhaust fixed right so its as quiet as the day it was born which I think helped with hauling. Last weekend was the auction weekend so we again took the trailer and had it loaded like crazy. Every square inch of the truck and trailer were full including behind the seats, on top of the truck cap, inside the bed, and trailer filled about 6' high with stuff from the auction. Load wasn't heavy until we had 13 five gallon buckets (10 were new unopened paint, drywall mud and concrete mortar filler stuff). But that was nothing compared to the loads of wood that we haul on a weekly basis. Talking about heavy loads. I will load my 6x8 trailer full with big ol logs. Probably close to 2-2500 pounds including the 700 pounds of trailer weight and my little 3.0 hauls it with little issues. For it being the smaller v6 it actually holds its own when it comes to pulling. I'll have to get a pictures when its loaded.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals