• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Little Ford Ranger working hard! Big trucks? Beauty Queens.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I once used rusty #1 to haul 27 bundles of ashphalt shingles (roughly 80-90lbs a pack) 25 miles home.

That was the only time i thought i may have finally did it in.

But i got home, unloaded it, and everything sprung right back into shape.

Its dragged concrete slab porches, hauled untold quanties of wood, lumber, mulch, you name it.

As far as new trucks are concerned....

Any truck with a bed not long enough to haul the cab isnt worthy of being a truck.
I once hauled about 3/4 of a cord of wood in a 12x5 trailer with mine. It was squatting, swaying, all that good stuff. I broke the clutch

Because my quad doesnt fit in the trunk of a car... it does fit in my 5.5' bed with the tailgate down, and also fit in my 6.5' bed.
My bed is only 5.5 ft. Closer to 4 with the tool box.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I once hauled about 3/4 of a cord of wood in a 12x5 trailer with mine. It was squatting, swaying, all that good stuff. I broke the clutch

I have NO idea how mine stayed glued togther that day. The guy at the lumberyard wouldnt even load them, said it was a liability.

I loaded them between the cab and axle as much as i could, the brakes were damn near useless, steering wasnt *too* bad, the ol 2.9 chugged on down the road just fine, athough i tryed 5th and it just kept loseing speed, did decent in 4th although IIRC the one big hill i had to go up i was down to 2nd.

The scariest thing was when i dropped off onto the dirt road and heard the bumper smack the pavement.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I bought my 14 Ram 1500 4 door because I haul my project vehicles on my 19 foot trailer with it ive had a little over a ton of coal in the bed, I pull our camper with it, I only bought the big 4 door since I need a car seat back there, I didnt need a diesel for pulling any of these things mainly because (if you couldnt tell by my name) ive done alot of over loading my ramchargers and power wagons and they managed with 318's and 360's always did most pulling with a 4spd manual though these automatic transmissions scare me but what you gonna do cant get a manual transmission unless its a diesel.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Well that's because 1/4 ton trucks are for doing 1/2 ton work, and 1/2 ton trucks are for advertising you have a tiny pecker.
Uh-oh. I have a Ranger AND an F150. Does that mean my tiny pecker works hard?

cpy911

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I bought my 14 Ram 1500 4 door because I haul my project vehicles on my 19 foot trailer with it ive had a little over a ton of coal in the bed, I pull our camper with it, I only bought the big 4 door since I need a car seat back there, I didnt need a diesel for pulling any of these things mainly because (if you couldnt tell by my name) ive done alot of over loading my ramchargers and power wagons and they managed with 318's and 360's always did most pulling with a 4spd manual though these automatic transmissions scare me but what you gonna do cant get a manual transmission unless its a diesel.
At least your are hauling stuff! I rarely see these trucks as work trucks. They have pristine paint jobs! I remember hauling Christmas trees for a scout project with my tiny utility trailer and my minivan (no truck at the time). I guy helping us had a F150 and didn't want to haul anything because it might scratch the bed! Then buy a Lexus!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That is a question for your wife.
She's not talking to me. But that's different story. Seems the trucks and I will be getting kicked off the island soon. On the bright side... That might free me up for a trip to Ohio in early September.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
At least your are hauling stuff! I rarely see these trucks as work trucks. They have pristine paint jobs! I remember hauling Christmas trees for a scout project with my tiny utility trailer and my minivan (no truck at the time). I guy helping us had a F150 and didn't want to haul anything because it might scratch the bed! Then buy a Lexus!
I have my bed rhino line professionally and my paint is pristine you just have to use some care when loading it, also has less than 42k on it. I run the ranger the most because I dont care if I break the engine or the trans since they are coming out anyway. Besides that 90 rwd 5psd 2.3 leaks a quart of oil in 120 miles and gets 9.25mpg so run it till it pukes. lol you guys wont like this but I haven't changed the oil in 3 years just keep adding it

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have NO idea how mine stayed glued togther that day. The guy at the lumberyard wouldnt even load them, said it was a liability.

I loaded them between the cab and axle as much as i could, the brakes were damn near useless, steering wasnt *too* bad, the ol 2.9 chugged on down the road just fine, athough i tryed 5th and it just kept loseing speed, did decent in 4th although IIRC the one big hill i had to go up i was down to 2nd.

The scariest thing was when i dropped off onto the dirt road and heard the bumper smack the pavement.
When we cut up one of our brush trucks a 83 power ram w250 we loaded everything but the engine trans and dana 60 rears in the bes of a lifted 94 ranger with a v6 and manual transmission and we went over the on mountain near roush creek in pa the springs were bottomed out and it smelled like it was on fire by the time we got to the top but it was fun and it did it.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Never ask anot her man about your pecker :nono:
Unless it's your doctor.
?‍♂
He'll, or your life partner, I don't discriminate. but nobody else. Especially on a Ranger Forum. I don't know about the S-10 & Tacoma forums, but here, BIG NO NO. and please no pictures either.

RoofHopper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
My little Ranger has been gettin $*** done since I bought it. Like hauling around all my tools, 5ton HPs, using the backup camera to get real close to a building without squishing anyone couldn't ask for more out of a small truck
20190323_135011.jpg
20190324_214600.jpg
20190324_215232.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a beauty queen doing beauty queen things...

I can hardly imagine what I could do if I could get my cab to fit in the bed... :ROFLMAO:

My Ranger works too... but only for more technical things where its greater maneuverability and visibility is advantageous. It is basically a mini F-150 but doesn't have enough lead in its @$$, for towing on a road. Anything it can do the '150 does far better.

Last edited:

RangerDanger2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
No Worries
I agree with all the statements. I'm 54 and have the financial power to purchase any truck I want with any options I want. My last two trucks (which I owned simultaneously) was a 2006 Nissan Titan SE that I purchased new with a 6 foot box and I inherited a pristine 1993 Chevrolet extended cab turbo diesel dually 4x4 with an 8 foot bed. Both trucks were super cool, especially the Chevrolet. But I found I never used them to what I considered their "full" potential. The one ton just sat in my carport and the Nissan was used as a "Home Depot getter". I live in a city with narrow roads on a small lot. Both trucks were a bitch to drive in traffic and park. So I decided to go back to my youth when we owned a simple compact '87 Nissan Hardbody SE with a 154hp (I think) 3.0 V6. Loved that truck! So I started shopping and found the "new" small trucks are mid-sized and almost as large as a full size truck. Completely turned me off. So I decided to purchased my '04 Ranger 4.0 long bed and completely restore it. So far, it has done EVERYTHING I ever asked the Nissan to do and has done it better relative to drivability and power. It's a fast truck, just like my Nissan. I'll probably keep this truck for the rest of my life as it's just to easy, simple, and cool. I've hauled over 1,200 lbs. in the bed and although it sagged slightly, it wasn't bad. The new 2000lb Hellwig helper springs I just ordered will solve that problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals