• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Little Ford Ranger working hard! Big trucks? Beauty Queens.

cpy911

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Is it just me, or are the huge F150's, F250's all beauty queens? Overpriced trucks to look at? I honestly see little pickups (Frontiers, Rangers, Tacomas, S-10's) with loads and actually doing truck work more than these big beauty queens.

IMG_3376.JPG

RoofHopper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
I would have to agree that the majority of people who choose to drive a smaller truck will actually do more truck stuff than the average 1/2 ton plus truck owner

cpy911

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would have to agree that the majority of people who choose to drive a smaller truck will actually do more truck stuff than the average 1/2 ton plus truck owner
For sure! My Dad had this little Datsun '78 620! Sold it in '95 when I left for college. You would not believe what this truck did...it out did most of the larger truck owners I know.

1. Pulled a John Deere 1050 tractor with a 5th wheel to do many various jobs
2. Hauled hay, topped real high.
3. Hauled fire wood.
4. Hauled cattle in a custom rack.

Farm truck duties...you name it. It worked so hard with little down time....wish I could have kept it...but it was getting tired.
new doc 2019-03-22 19.24.27_1.jpg

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
For sure! My Dad had this little Datsun '78 620! Sold it in '95 when I left for college. You would not believe what this truck did...it out did most of the larger truck owners I know.

1. Pulled a John Deere 1050 tractor with a 5th wheel to do many various jobs
2. Hauled hay, topped real high.
3. Hauled fire wood.
4. Hauled cattle in a custom rack.

Farm truck duties...you name it. It worked so hard with little down time....wish I could have kept it...but it was getting tired. View attachment 25731
There is one for sale in NJ on Monmouth road at this address ive pasted dozens of times look good too. Zach's Produce 609 Monmouth Rd, Wrightstown, NJ 08562 https://maps.app.goo.gl/aMh6T

RoofHopper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Rangers haul for sure. I had a 99 3.0 some years ago (my brother still DDs it) and it did everything I asked of it at the time. I was so happy to hear that they were coming back out because driving around like I do at 1k + miles a week in a crew cab 1500 just wasn't cutting it anymore. Especially since my typical days haul of tools and materials is less than 1/8th the Rangers capacity. But there were no good options until now to fill that slot since GMs little trucks are turd sandwiches and Tacomas suck just as much gas as my 1500 did

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well that's because 1/4 ton trucks are for doing 1/2 ton work, and 1/2 ton trucks are for advertising you have a tiny pecker.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Is it just me, or are the huge F150's, F250's all beauty queens? Overpriced trucks to look at? I honestly see little pickups (Frontiers, Rangers, Tacomas, S-10's) with loads and actually doing truck work more than these big beauty queens.

View attachment 25730
The trucks are getting bigger, and the motors that go in them are getting smaller. cpy911you may be on to something.

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
To me, it seems like full size trucks are becoming like luxury vehicles with all these features that makes them more car like than trucks anymore and where I live, it seems like I seldom see 1/2 ton and bigger full size trucks hauling anything in the bed.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
To me, it seems like full size trucks are becoming like luxury vehicles with all these features that makes them more car like than trucks anymore and where I live, it seems like I seldom see 1/2 ton and bigger full size trucks hauling anything in the bed.
They are the 21st century version of the 4-dr sedan, just built on a truck chassis with a small cargo bed. Then you put a bed cover on it and it's a sedan with a big trunk. It's bigger than what people drove when I was kid, but then the people are proportionately bigger too.

A Ranger or small truck doesn't fill that role, so people are more likely to buy them to use as a truck. I'm commuting in mine right now because my car is even older and needs some work, but now that I have it I can get back to projects on the house since I can get supplies home again, and I have a backup vehicle for when I have to work on either. It's going to be used to haul stuff just like my last Ranger, and It's quite capable of working hard.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I once used rusty #1 to haul 27 bundles of ashphalt shingles (roughly 80-90lbs a pack) 25 miles home.

That was the only time i thought i may have finally did it in.

But i got home, unloaded it, and everything sprung right back into shape.

Its dragged concrete slab porches, hauled untold quanties of wood, lumber, mulch, you name it.

As far as new trucks are concerned....

Any truck with a bed not long enough to haul the cab isnt worthy of being a truck.

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I 100% agree with a bed that is not long enough because you can't hardly haul anything. Why have a truck with a five to six feet bed and might as well get a car.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I 100% agree with a bed that is not long enough. Why have a truck with a five to six feet bed and might as well get a car.
Because my quad doesnt fit in the trunk of a car... it does fit in my 5.5' bed with the tailgate down, and also fit in my 6.5' bed.

cpy911

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well that's because 1/4 ton trucks are for doing 1/2 ton work, and 1/2 ton trucks are for advertising you have a tiny pecker.
Ha ha, nice!

cpy911

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
They are the 21st century version of the 4-dr sedan, just built on a truck chassis with a small cargo bed. Then you put a bed cover on it and it's a sedan with a big trunk. It's bigger than what people drove when I was kid, but then the people are proportionately bigger too.

A Ranger or small truck doesn't fill that role, so people are more likely to buy them to use as a truck. I'm commuting in mine right now because my car is even older and needs some work, but now that I have it I can get back to projects on the house since I can get supplies home again, and I have a backup vehicle for when I have to work on either. It's going to be used to haul stuff just like my last Ranger, and It's quite capable of working hard.
.....and the truck manufacturers are charging $40K, $50K, $60K and on up with 72 month loans for these beauty queens. They are laughing all the way to the bank.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I 100% agree with a bed that is not long enough because you can't hardly haul anything. Why have a truck with a five to six feet bed and might as well get a car.
And to top it off is when you see a 5.5ft box 1/2 ton with a cap on it.

Shoulda got an expedition or tahoe,

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals