• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

List of B2 Options that never made it to production and some that did.

joshua_vance_fuller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
8.8 bronco 2 rear end!!!

I have attached pics of a 8.8 low pinion ford rear end out of a bronco 2, YES...A 1990 2WD Bronco 2. Its 58-1/2" from outside drum to drum with 3.73 gears. Has not been narrowed, 5 on 4-1/2 bolt pattern. Putting it under my 85 B2, changing gears out first. I found it bolted up under a 2WD b2 in a field for the better part of 20 years. No ID tag on it but I mesured the ring and pinion so I can change them out, only problem is it's an open diff!

Attachments

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Though largely a repost of previous comments in this thread...

My comments inserted in RED

This is a rumor list.

1. Pop out Side windows-There is doccumentation that says there were. Owners manual discusses how to remove and store them.

I've never seen any, but I'm still looking

2. Rear bucket seats-There are reports that they are out there. No pictures to back it.

I've seen these, they are mounted rigidly to the floor and cannot be folded flat to increase cargo room like the bench but they are more comfortable, the seats themselves are nothing special but I'd nealy kill for a set of the brackets.

3. 4.0L B2 in late 1990-No proof that they exist. If Ford made Prototypes then they would never have been sold, and likey to have been dismantled. 1991 was the intro of the Explorer. Someone that started the rumor likley saw an Explorer Sport 2 door and thought it was a new B2.

4. 8.8 rear axle.- Rumor and no proof of existance.

5. D35 front axle-*Confirmed*. Nearly all 1990 models will have a D35 axle. 3.73 ratio is a guarantee.

Well any 1990 produced after 11-89, but 3.73 is NOT guaranteed, I've seen a couple with 4.10's (ALWAYS with an auto trans)

6. M5OD 5 speed trans.-*Confirmed* Most if not all 1990 models will have this as a manual trans. 1989 saw the last of the FM146's.

Most definatly not correct, most manual T-case equipped Bronco2's will have an FM146, the FM146 continued in production through
1992 in Rangers, what got dropped was the 2wd version of the mitsubishi, the FM132 and that got dropped at the end of 1990 when Ford stopped installing 2.9's in 2wd Rangers (replaced with the 3.0)

7. Real 2wd trans without dummy case in 2wd models-Yes and no. later model ones are rumored to have a ranger 2wd trans. AllanD would be able to confirm this.

some late production M5OD-R1 equipped Bronco2's
I've never seen a 2wd Bronco2 with an A4LD trans, though I'd love to.
No, I don't want the trans or the driveshaft... What I want is the bolt on adapter that converts the A4LD output shaft to a four bolt mounting flange like a Transfer case to fit an A4LD spline. I'v got an evil idea for a Dana TC20 transfer case that requires one of these adapters.

All I can think of at the moment.
If you thought engineers were bad, the guys that put the owners manuals together know less of the vehicle than a 2 year old would.

The engine chapter was likely borrowed from the ranger manual. The haynes manual shows a 4.0L ranger/bII engine electrical schematic, but we all know it's for the Ranger.

FWIW if you can find a 1990 4.0L in a Ranger the 4.0L swap into a 1990 B2 will be a True Plug and Play. A 1991 4.oL is close but there are a couple of plugs they swapped around.
They also switched from a couple of round plugs to connect the on-engine harness to the engine bay harness to square plugs for later trucks.

i was wondering... i have a 91 explorer and was wondering how much work id have to do to change it from a 4.0 to 2.9. i know id have to change the ecm. but do i have to change the wiring harness too?
It's easier to find another 4.0

AD

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
i have seen an 86 B2 with 2.3 liter diesel in a wrecking yard in ontario ca about 8 months ago... almosr bought it just because it was an oddball... but the truck was a rust bucket and in pretty horrible condition... don't know if that was factory though... couldn't read the vinnumber

ldbill39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
'90 b2

I was at the JY today, and found a new B2 atleast new to this JY, anyways, it has a 4.0 and A4ld in it, and yes it is a 2WD. I scarfed the tranny for one of my 2WD B2's, it was perfect, the tranny was already taken out by someone else, and put on the drivers front seat, and the spicer was on the passenger seat. So I took them both. The engine is a 4.0 and it was not a conversion, as the engine tag was there, and it was for the 4.0. It also has the spare mounted in the back of the truck, with its original carpet cover still on it. The same JY got a '85 B2 with the removable windows, but someone decided to take a tire iron to all the windows. There was still pieces but that was all.

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was at the JY today, and found a new B2 atleast new to this JY, anyways, it has a 4.0 and A4ld in it, and yes it is a 2WD. I scarfed the tranny for one of my 2WD B2's, it was perfect, the tranny was already taken out by someone else, and put on the drivers front seat, and the spicer was on the passenger seat. So I took them both. The engine is a 4.0 and it was not a conversion, as the engine tag was there, and it was for the 4.0. It also has the spare mounted in the back of the truck, with its original carpet cover still on it. The same JY got a '85 B2 with the removable windows, but someone decided to take a tire iron to all the windows. There was still pieces but that was all.
Pictures! If you can get the pictures of the latches for the windows I'll paypal or Postal Money order you $10.

No Joke.

Ben

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
how do you know it wasnt a conversion?

ldbill39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
windows

Boggin, they might have been, didn't actually check for the Ford logo on the latches. Will check further when I'm back out that way.
Forgot to mention this in my last post but, the rear glass on the '90 were clear, no tint, and the door panels are totally different from the XLT's door panels from '88 to '89. They are also different from the '91 Exploder.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
AllanD said:
I've never seen a 2wd Bronco2 with an A4LD trans, though I'd love to.
No, I don't want the trans or the driveshaft... What I want is the bolt on adapter that converts the A4LD output shaft to a four bolt mounting flange like a Transfer case to fit an A4LD spline. I'v got an evil idea for a Dana TC20 transfer case that requires one of these adapters.

AD
Sorry AD, I threw one of these away a few years ago, but I may know where there is another one. I'll see if I can get my paws on it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That looks a lot like the standard equipment fold down bench there duce.

Vanner1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983, 1977
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
460, 351M
Transmission
Manual
I didn't realize rear buckets were rare, I also learned that the pine tree pattern seats were eddie bauer...there is a set in my local yard.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Actual rear buckets ("captains seats") are rare in the Bronco II. What Duce posted is a standard equipment fold-flat rear bench.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
3. 4.0L B2 in late 1990-No proof that they exist. If Ford made Prototypes then they would never have been sold, and likey to have been dismantled. 1991 was the intro of the Explorer. Someone that started the rumor likley saw an Explorer Sport 2 door and thought it was a new B2.

i know for sure these were made, i had/have parts from one on my truck.

donated to wyandotte school....and had to be dismantled and not sold when its service life ended.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals