• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

LIM gasket install..school me

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
So I installed new head gaskets on my 2.9l. That went well, but I don't think I did the LIM properly. First of all, there is a 1/8inch gap between the manifold and where you supposed to put the RTV. Here are pics of front and back. Is this normal? If so, I don't think I used enough RTV.

Here are front and rear views where the LIM "meets" the block.

Also, the gasket it not centered right. It protrudes on one side.

So, is this a total re-do? Help this amateur engine builder please.

Sean

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have rarely had those rubber strips sit perfect, it always seems like they are off on one end or the other, but that rear picture looks wrong.

I never did heads on a 2.9, but on the 4.0 which is basically the same engine, you are supposed to torque the heads and lower intake together to prevent exactly that. How did you do it?

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
I did the heads first, just like it says in the Chilton and haynes manuals. Torque the heads first, then do the intake manifold. Says to do it that way here too:

I havent worked on enough of these to know whats normal. Didn't even think to look at that before I ripped it apart.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That part of the intake gasket that sticks above the head should be flush. If it's sticking up above the top of the head/intake, the intake ports on the gasket will be high also (they are about the same height, and I can see the closest intake port gasket sticking up also). I'm not sure how the gasket could sit high like that, unless you separated the two sides of the intake gasket on the perforated lines(?) The gasket is one piece, and the perforated lines are there for bending only.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
That part of the intake gasket that sticks above the head should be flush. If it's sticking up above the top of the head/intake, the intake ports on the gasket will be high also (they are about the same height, and I can see the closest intake port gasket sticking up also). I'm not sure how the gasket could sit high like that, unless you separated the two sides of the intake gasket on the perforated lines(?) The gasket is one piece, and the perforated lines are there for bending only.
At the very least then, I need to tear it apart on redo the gasket. What's your opinion of that gap? Could be related to the unevenness of the gasket I am thinking

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a new set of heads and a FelPro gasket in the back room, but without putting them on the block I can't tell how the gasket could shift up like that (it shouldn't). The FelPro instruction sheet does say that you need to install a 3/16" bead across the front and back, so there will be a gap. In fact, the gap in your pictures didn't concern me near as much as the position of the gasket. When you pull the LIM, try matching the ports on the gasket with the ports in the heads (with no intake). It may be something as simple as pushing down on those tabs in the corners to match flush with the top of the heads before torqueing them down. The gasket is marked "Front" also, and the orientation is pretty obvious as long as you have the "Front" to the front of the block.

At any rate, yeah, you'll definitely have to re-do the gasket. I've attached the procedure and torque specs from the Ford shop manual. It looks like only steps 1 & 2 apply to the LIM.

Attachments

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
I have a new set of heads and a FelPro gasket in the back room, but without putting them on the block I can't tell how the gasket could shift up like that (it shouldn't). The FelPro instruction sheet does say that you need to install a 3/16" bead across the front and back, so there will be a gap. In fact, the gap in your pictures didn't concern me near as much as the position of the gasket. When you pull the LIM, try matching the ports on the gasket with the ports in the heads (with no intake). It may be something as simple as pushing down on those tabs in the corners to match flush with the top of the heads before torqueing them down. The gasket is marked "Front" also, and the orientation is pretty obvious as long as you have the "Front" to the front of the block.

At any rate, yeah, you'll definitely have to re-do the gasket. I've attached the procedure and torque specs from the Ford shop manual. It looks like only steps 1 & 2 apply to the LIM.
Thanks so much man, much appreciated

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
One last thing, should I use another new gasket of it's not broken?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
One last thing, should I use another new gasket of it's not broken?
Yep.

Looks upside-down and backwards to me, but I can't tell. They are directional. What brand is that one? Felpro is marked to show which way it goes in.

I've had my lower intake off a few times (head replacement once, then Swapped lowers when I ported one). They're a PITA the first time you set one.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Like PetroleumJunkie412 said. If you've torqued the manifold, I wouldn't take the chance on re-using the gasket. I recommend doing a dry fit before using the silicone. Shape the gasket to fit without the intake sitting on it. Then put your bead of silicone down, set the intake on it, check to make sure those tabs aren't sticking above the heads, and torque to spec.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Like PetroleumJunkie412 said. If you've torqued the manifold, I wouldn't take the chance on re-using the gasket. I recommend doing a dry fit before using the silicone. Shape the gasket to fit without the intake sitting on it. Then put your bead of silicone down, set the intake on it, check to make sure those tabs aren't sticking above the heads, and torque to spec.
Got it, thanks!

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just noticed something in your first pic that I didn't see before. It looks like the gasket is low on the passenger side and high on the drivers side. Just make sure those tabs are flush with the top of the heads before torqueing and you'll be alright.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
I just noticed something in your first pic that I didn't see before. It looks like the gasket is low on the passenger side and high on the drivers side. Just make sure those tabs are flush with the top of the heads before torqueing and you'll be alright.
Yep, I messed that up too lol.

Anyone ever try these? They have a cork portion on the gasket where the RTV would normally go.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Yep, I messed that up too lol.

Anyone ever try these? They have a cork portion on the gasket where the RTV would normally go.

They're on par with felpro.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals