• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lill Mule 89 BII

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Decided to just start a thread to track my progress
Traded a Polaris quad for this bronco. It was smash9002 bronco
his build -http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8368

list of things done to it. updated 10/25/2010

body 1989
cut off hatch
custom square tube bumpers 4" front and rear - rear needs to be replaced.
2 8" Hella lamps
2 3" rear spots
Clearanced front fenders at rear by 3" inches
Cut fender liners for more clearance
Rolled rear fenders
2x2 angle iron rock sliders - need better ones
Driver seat from 80's Thunderbird, passenger Explorer - soon to be thunderbird also
12v accessories 3 port installed on a off/on switch
12v fridge as center console
LED strips for Dome lights- very bright
Smitty XCR8 winch on a Harbor freight winch plate

suspension
6" skyjacker with extended arms, stainless steel lines, superrunner steering linkage,
Skyjacker 6" lift coils
spring keepers for top of springs to prevent pop out.
D35 front with 4.10 and Traction Lok, Warn manual Hubs Rancho Non Adjustable shocks in front- synthetic fluid
Clearanced front beam window for drive axles, ground U-joints for clearance on heavy side.
1998 Ford 8.8 rear 4.10 locker disc brakes, Traction Lok - Has tag on case
Spring over axle done in back with 4 degree shims
replaced stock leaf spring locater pins with hardened bolts
Rancho adjustable shocks rear
James Duff Double Carden Extended drive shaft
Installed sway bar with 3" drop brackets and quick disconnect pins.

Drive train
CARB BAR sticker 4.0 swap - 1992 Explorer 4.0 either 86k or 186k (prop 186k) - had a 1993 Ranger 4.0 - no cam sensor swapped 10/01/2010
M50d - mitsi 4m156 5 speed swapped 10/01/2010
BW1354M manual shift transfer case- electric shift transfer case swapped 10/01/2010
33x12.50x15 pro comp xterrians on rockcrushers
Family 6 point roll cage. - had a 8 point but person before me cut out the cab loop.

2.25 Flowmaster behind magnaFlow cat- mandrel bend exhaust to behind the rear wheels
Aerostar 75mm MAS airflow sensor with Aerostar airtube which moved AirFiler to stock battery location
optima Redtop moved to airbox location
Power steering Cooler

bought it with wiring problems. think have most of them fixed. Lots more to come.

Last edited:

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Added Winch XCR8 today

put a smittybilt XCR 8 on it today. got it for $299 magizine price local at the 4 wheel parts store. they included bolts with BLANK heads in the box. in other words garbage.

Bought a winch plate from Harbor freight-the plate had been installed and had 2 sets of grade 8 bolts in it. so used them to bolt the winch to the plate.

Went and bought new grade 8 bolts to bolt the winch plate down to the custom bumper. Tighten all the connectors down as one was loose at the solenoid. Works good in the garage. Need to go test it in the fields tomorrow.

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
new airbox and 76mm MAS

well I was prowling around local junkyard when I had to purchase new seat brackets for the rear as they were missing. I have been reading some of the threads on different MAS sensors for the ford 4.0 especially the 91-95 as they have the tiny 50mm MAS sensor.

Ebay seemed to say that you could use the SOHC sensor. Bought one of them and discovered when I got it home that it has a completely different MAS sensor than the 93.

Went back to the junkyard this morning and found a 76mm (or so:icon_thumby:) MAS in a 95 4.0 4x4 Aerostar. grabbed the air hose, MAS, and the Airbox top. The bottom was smashed in. bought some Torx safety bits from Lowes and took off the stock MAS sensor and put my 4.0 MAS Sensor on.

I am going to have to move the battery but that shouldn't be a big problem. I had a SPectre MAS air filter adapter for 3" K&N air filters. I have a couple laying around the garage. However when I put my 3" air filter up to the MAS Sensor it was tiny:shok:. think I will buy the Spetrce Ford Large air filter adapter with a 4" air filter instead of reusing my 3" K&N. i will post some pictures tomorrow of the MAS sensor as it is huge.

If i can find a lower airbox for cheap I may just go to a K&N stock filter with a Cold Air Tube. Unsure right now and it is late so off I go

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cutting finders might be coming also. paint looks so nice it is going to hurt when I do it.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Boy does that thing have parts under it I would love to have.I got the smittybuilt and its worked good for me.

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
pics of new MAS

Couple of pics of the new MAS sensor 76mm!! I swapped the Spectre 3" MAS adapter for a large Ford MAS filter adapter. It is too big so will bring the MAS sensor with me to make sure that it fits

compared to old one

freerider6_9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a good deal, looks good and keep the updates and mods comin.
Oh and its MAF(mass air flow):icon_twisted: (just for info, not trying to be a dick)

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
installed the MAF air filter adapter using the Spectre Ford Small adapter. I used the Aerostar air tube instead of the Ranger air tube as I liked air passage better. Plus it put the air filter where I wanted it. it is tight up against the hood. If it rubs too much I will have to go get the Spectre 90 degree elbow

Removed the stock air filter box and moved the battery to the air filter location. Tied it down with battery tie downs. Rerouted all the battery cables. Put the Spectre air filter adapter and MAF sensor on the stock air tube. Then added the Air Filter. Fits about where I wanted it. I still need to create a air shield.

Took it for a drive and it seemed to add a bit more from mid 3000 rpm on up. Not that much more air noise. So pretty happy with it so far. Need to finish putting the O2 sensor guage on the bronco to see if I am running Lean.
Disconnected the battery for a couple of hours to clear it of codes

air filter adapter

battery moved

yes that second sensor is from the Aerostar and is not needed on my motor as it has the air temp in the intake manifold.

Last edited:

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Flex Shots

Had to go get some flex shots as it was finally sunny today

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
snow run results

Went on a snow run with my search and rescue group. aired down to 8psi and scooted along. I was the only one with a NON mud open type tire. Really did a lot of slipping and sliding around. trail got real rough at the end of the day going out. Hit hard on both back fenders at the top and on the front of the fenders in the back. Hit the passenger side front rear (hard!) and the top of the passenger front top of the fender. Hit the rear of the driver front fender also.

Time to to go get the torch out and roll all the fenders! :icon_welder:

stuck photo

snow depth

rear tire hitting front of fender drivers side

rear tire hitting top of fender

rear hitting front of fender pass side

pass side rear hitting top

drivers side front rear hit

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
picked up a 92 explorer sport 2 door 4.0 5 speed 4x4. going to pull motor and tranny out. thinking just swap the whole thing into mine to gain the M50D. Also would gain me a motor that has less miles. Might also pull the complete wiring harness and computer from the 92. this way I have a newer wiring harness without the splices.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
looking good man. what ya got in the rear suspension? i didn't see much for blocks.

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no blocks- Spring over axle conversion done previously. Springs have more arch than stock springs. they flex very well in rear.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
no blocks- Spring over axle conversion done previously. Springs have more arch than stock springs. they flex very well in rear.
so you have rearched b2/ranger leafs?

nicely done either way.

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
unkown- i don't think that smash9002 knows either as they are from someone 7 years ago? I have to see what it rides like once i finish packing the rear of the bronco with all of my search and rescue stuff. The broncos main purpose is Search and Rescue with a second purpose of just wheelin.

I have a long list of stuff to carry for Search and Rescue to make sure that I can stay out on a search 72 hours in all temperatures and climates. Stuff like food, clothes, stove, tools, water, spare tire, jack, spare parts. Living in the Sierra Foothills means winter snow and summer heat.

My thought is to get everything packed in nice and tight. then see if i can borrow a buddys corner weight scales to see what my front back weights are like

I actually need to find a way to close in the pack. It gets pretty cold out in the snow, even with the heater blowing on high. Picked up a toyota fiberglass top for $30 and need to see if I can fit it to the back.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals