• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lifting my 01 4x2

AmericanMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So I am new to suspensions and ford, I would like to lift my ranger anywhere from 2" to 4". I wouldn't like to spend a ton of money, Im not opposed to hitting the junkyards to find parts as well but will also buy new if that's the better option. I saw the maxtrac lift kits but after reading around on this site it doesn't look like its very quality/causes more problems. Can anyone point me in a good direction or tell me what worked for them? My end goal is some nice beefy BF Goodrichs maybe 31" to 33" on a 15 inch polished alum rim and I don't want to have issues with steering or rubbing.

Side question how hard are body lifts to install?

Thanks guys!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
what is your front suspension? coils or torsion bars?

the "How to Tech" at the top of this page will have lots of info for your viewing pleasure.

AmericanMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Coils.
And ill definately hit that how to tech page. Im still learning the site thanks

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
I also have coils. Mine has the advance trac, so rather than risk pissing the computer off and having issues, I just went with a body lift. Honestly, I'm pretty happy with it. My truck has 235/75r15s on it (29s), and could easily fit 32s or 33s, but I don't think it looks terrible - basically looks like a stock Edge. I'll keep running these BFGs until I have a chance to swap rear end ratio to 4.10s, then I'll probably do 31s. I did not do the body lift myself; it took a local 4x4 shop about half a day to do. Overall, I'm happy with it. Haven't had any issues didn't need to align it again, change the shocks or anything, and with the gap guards on the back you really can't tell it has a body lift unless you're looking really close. The 4x4s with their already higher ride height look more awkward with the body lift IMO.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Exploder springs may fit. Can't remember.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

AmericanMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Danno, thats a sweet looking ranger you got! Looks good with the body lift although I dont think i want to go that route, looks like a lot to deal with as I will be installing it myself.
So far after reviewing the how to sections I'm intrigued by the f150 coil conversion, and how that could give me my 2in of lift. As I read it I may as well get an aftermarket camber bushing to keep my alignment from going out too crazy. And a big reason for this lift is because I will already be down there changing shocks (I will go for some +2' to accommodate the longer springs) and also I believe my drivers side spring isnt what it used to be because it has a slight slouch. Its an 01 with 160k and is all original.
Does anyone have some insight, comments or ideas concerning my plan?
Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals