• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lifting BII's For Cheap?

work_in_progress

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, i am 15, building a 89 BII, i want about a 2-3 inch lift, besides the stuff on the tech pages, is there any secrets to cheap lifting?:icon_confused::icon_bounceblue:

8879ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not really. Below I have listed 2 possible cheaper routes to go for 2"-3" of lift, or a combined total of 5" of lift. Honestly, I first installed a 2" body lift on mine when I was 17, and it worked great for me. I was able to run 31"x10.5" tires, which I still run today. Also, If you can find these parts at a junkyard, it could only be like $20 bucks or something. No matter which route you decide to go, I defiantly recommend getting a new steering stabilizer and a rag joint if you can find it.

A 2" lift can be done with coil spring spacers up front and blocks in the rear for the leaf springs for around $60 total for 2" lift.

A 2" or 3" body lift can also be had for around $150 new.

Or...you could forget about the lift and cut the fenders and bumpers. This would be the cheapest and possibly most effective because no matter how large the lift kit, the lowest point of the truck is at the differential, which is only determined by the tire height. By cutting the fenders, you can fit larger tires WHILE keeping your center of gravity low AND retain ALL original steering and suspension geometry.

Good Luck with your build!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^good advise.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The advice above is excellent and should be all you need for now.

A jigsaw, drill, tape measure, masking tape and self drilling screws are your cheapest option. Assuming you are OK with cutting up the body. If not then you will have to drop some cash on other pieces.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I lifted cheap (RC lift) before and ended up redoing it later.

My advise, do a small cheap body lift and the washer lift for now... save money to do a real lift. Either something like James Duff or piece one together like I did. To see what I did start my build thread about page 123 I think.. I have an awesome working TTB set-up, but it's not been cheap. I bought mostly used stuff to save money but with gears, lockers, steering, shocks, etc... I have money in it.

work_in_progress

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks y'all, the advice helps a lot! I have no clue what to do, right now the car has no motor, so...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals