• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lifting 2004 2WD ranger XL

JFox4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L I4
Transmission
Manual
ok so if i stay stock height and put 30's on will i need to re gear? i also want to get a/t tires and what i understand is BFG all terrains are the best?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
u can fit 30"s and not deff need a regear. im running em with the stock gears and its not that bad. BFG's ar5e good tires, but not exactly the best, its basically your taste and budget. i really like them, but there are better performing tires out there

JFox4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L I4
Transmission
Manual
im going to put 15 by 8 procomp steelies the 52 series in flat black wheels with the 30 by 9.5 R15 bfg a/t. that should work im assuming?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
nice combo, yeah taht will work with no issues and the truck will deff look better

post pics when u get it done

JFox4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L I4
Transmission
Manual
i definetly will man and thanks:D im getting my audio installed with my friends im putting four 8 inch sundown subs on 1500 watts i cant wait for it. I really want to lift also.

JFox4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L I4
Transmission
Manual
I think im going to start with the 3 inch performance accessories body lift

JFox4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L I4
Transmission
Manual
Will it be very difficult to install? i know in the tech library there are instructions and they also come with directions, but should i just bring it to a shop? my uncle is very experienced with almost everything but just want to make sure its something we can do correctly?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
i did mine in a day, its really easy.

just spray the bolts and mounts with wd-40 for at least 3 days before doing this, it will make your life easier lol

the only mounts that could be a pain are the front ones, on the engine bay since those are bolted from under the truck and tend to get rusty, but being your truck a 04 i bet they arent that rusted, unless u get snow.

so, if your uncle is a mechanic and has tools, do it in your place, its deff not worth to pay for doing it at a shop imo.

KARMAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ok so if i stay stock height and put 30's on will i need to re gear? i also want to get a/t tires and what i understand is BFG all terrains are the best?
u can fit 30"s and not deff need a regear. im running em with the stock gears and its not that bad. BFG's ar5e good tires, but not exactly the best, its basically your taste and budget. i really like them, but there are better performing tires out there
For my tastes and driving BFG all terrain are my favorite.
I have them now and ran them in my last 2 trucks.

JFox4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L I4
Transmission
Manual
i did mine in a day, its really easy.

just spray the bolts and mounts with wd-40 for at least 3 days before doing this, it will make your life easier lol

the only mounts that could be a pain are the front ones, on the engine bay since those are bolted from under the truck and tend to get rusty, but being your truck a 04 i bet they arent that rusted, unless u get snow.

so, if your uncle is a mechanic and has tools, do it in your place, its deff not worth to pay for doing it at a shop imo.
good advice thanks and i do not want to pay that much for a shop its rediculous so we are going to do it for sure.

JFox4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L I4
Transmission
Manual
For my tastes and driving BFG all terrain are my favorite.
I have them now and ran them in my last 2 trucks.

Sounds good :icon_thumby: now its just deciding on what size tire and if im going to re gear or not. I want to, but i dont know the cost or anything about it really.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
its not cheap, so i would recomend u to first lift it and get the tires and then after driving with the bigger tires decide if u want to regear it or not.

and hunting a junk yard for a Ranger/Explorer axle with 4.10 gears would be cheapier than regearing yours i think. maybe 4.10 gears could improve the truck after gettin bigger tires.

u could even sell yours to get a bit of cash back.

JFox4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L I4
Transmission
Manual
Yeah that sounds like a really good idea, im def going to do the 3 in body lift and then later on do a suspension lift of some kind because i wana lift high and possibly off road occassionaly :headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals