• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lifters

bubblegump

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford fanger
Transmission
Automatic
Does any one here know what would cause the lifters on a 2000 4.0 to pump up enough to hold the valves open? new lifters-new heads-new oil pump-but no compression

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ohv or sohc???

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Kinda figured... Lifters only pump up to "take slack"(oil controlled valve lash adjuster) up from push rods to rocker arms they should not extend enough to open a valve until cam lobe dictates it.. are pushrods seated properly in lifters? Are all cylinders no comp? Did you compare new and old lifters to ensure proper length?

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also why were these parts replaced?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Push rods are too long.

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Push rods are too long.
Most likely something along that line just need more info to really help... Its funny I get paid $90 an hour for diag but for a TRS member I'll do it for a thanks!!! 😂

bubblegump

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford fanger
Transmission
Automatic
Also why were these parts replaced?
it died going down the road and when the timing was checked and found to be correct the compression was checked and it had none and when the rocker shafts were loosened it had compression-so the engine was pulled and they thought the lifters were bad so they replaced all of them and put in a new oil pump and the exhaust valves were seen to have the seats beat out so they sent them to a machine shop which found them to have the seats out but they also found the heads were cracked so they bought a new set of heads-replaced the lifters with new ones and replaced the oil pump because they though perhaps the bypass valve was sticking-it started and ran about 15 seconds and died and now has no compression again

bubblegump

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford fanger
Transmission
Automatic
Most likely something along that line just need more info to really help... Its funny I get paid $90 an hour for diag but for a TRS member I'll do it for a thanks!!! 😂
Your help is really appreciated - the poor kid has spent 2000 dollars on parts now and it still won't run-his grand father has done the work for free but has about 15 hours of labor in it

bubblegump

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford fanger
Transmission
Automatic
Push rods are too long.
they are stock push rods and the lifters and heads are both new-he is mad enough to grind the valve stems off but I told him he better try to figure out the problem before resorting to such drastic measures

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Need to remove lower intake and turn over by hand to watch lifters, I think the cam gear is probably spinning on the camshaft it will show good timing but not be timed... Hopefully I'm wrong as they may have destroyed new heads.. well im off to bed. Let me know what they find out when you can!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals