• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lifter problem

SWE_lollo03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, I have been swaping transmission in my ranger so it's been sitting for arround three months and now when i started it up allmost all the lifters make noice and one makes really load noice is there anyway to fix that?

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: F9A1A579ACFAD1: October 1st, 2021

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you have already confirmed that you have oil pressure, you might want to check out the first thread in the 2.9L forum. If it was working fine before you started work on the trans I would try the Seafoam treatment. If the oil hasn't been changed in a while you might consider doing that also before you put the Seafoam in the crank case. It won't immediately stop the noise, but it will help (it did with my 2.9).

gaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
SWE_lollo,

Welcome 🙂

I would verify oil pressure when running but look at the oil level and how it looks on the stick 1st.

Next area I would suspect is under the valve covers. So if the oil pressure is good and the oil on the stick looks how you expect, then I would pop the valve covers and remove the rocker shafts, expecting them to be caked with SLUDGE.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
after the engine warms up and oil is flowing does the noise get quieter? if so, i wouldn't worry too much about it... and as far as seafoam goes ... do it at your own discretion.