• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lift Question

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
So i finally am financially ready to buy my 4 inch lift. Ive decited to go with the 4 inch tuff country lift, just the simple one. I have a few questions, im pretty sure i will need extended brake lines, and also what else will I need to make the lift work properly? And i need suggestions of cheap mud terrains, im getting 31's. My last question is, with the lift on the dana 28, will anything be a problem to swap a dana 35 after i put the lift on?

Thanks...

-Aj

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Idk much about axles and such, but i have been told that u will need extended brake lines for a 4" lift. Also, check out treadwrights. Its where im buying them from. Good luck, im in about the same boat as you :p

http://www.treadwright.com/default.aspx?

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Oh wow, i couldnt find any that cheap! but my concern is that they wont be what they look like on the picture. Also about the sidewall, im looking for a cheap set, but im worried about the side protection.

http://www.treadwright.com/p-12-31-10-50-r15-guard-dog-m-t.aspx

those are the ones im talking about, they almost look like the original goodyear mud terrains

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the d35 will swap in there just fine, but the driver side drop brake has the potential to puncture a hole in the d35 diff if you were to hit a bump suddenly. tuff country uses a 3/8" thick plate that you fasten the factory pivot bracket to, instead of giving you a new bracket. (one of the reasons it's so cheap) on a side note, you'll most likely have to shorten the front driveshaft when put the d35 as well.

you will need the extended brake lines, but i think the tuff country lift comes with them. there's an alternative in the tech library that can save you some $$$.

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
also plan on a drop pitman arm and shocks as well :icon_thumby:

if ya look around, sometimes you can get a complete lift ( with shocks, brake lines, pitman arm ) from another company cheaper than the TC one when ya have to get all the other stuff for it piece by piece.....

l8r, John

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ya the kit comes with shocks, idk if it comes with brake lines. and the pittman arm isint very expensive looks like i can get one for 60 bucks? I might just keep the dana 28, my bro inlaw is a ford mechanic and he said he could build mine to be pretty strong..ill probably get a set of warn hubs also.

And ive looked and done research and Tuff country seemed like the best one, compared to rough country atleast...I honestly cant find any other 4 inch lift kits between the 5-600 dollar range..Ive seen skyjacker, superlift etc but those get pretty expensive. I know you get what you pay for but im in college on a budget =(

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i thought the TC lift came with a drop pitman arm? but yeah, they arent expensive, i found mine on here for $50 shipped.

not sure how your brother in law is gonna make the D28 into a strong axle. the axle is weak b/c the axle shafts are smaller than that of a D35.....actually everything is smaller than a d35. i just dont see a way to make a d28 strong.

as long as you dont rock it too hard, the d28 will probably stand up to 31's, i'm sure there's a bunch of people on here that will tell you they've beat the shit out of theirs and it held up. i know i did in high school, but i was running stock tires.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And ive looked and done research and Tuff country seemed like the best one, compared to rough country atleast...I honestly cant find any other 4 inch lift kits between the 5-600 dollar range..Ive seen skyjacker, superlift etc but those get pretty expensive. I know you get what you pay for but im in college on a budget =(

I am in the same boat as you lol i was going to pick up the tuff country as well and was content with that. Then i found out about some 6" lift for 500 buks on some site where if u spend over 500 bucks its free shipping (in US only tho...). You need to call them i guess and ask about it, i never knew the name because i never got to calling them. When i get home i will find the page for that if you wanted to find otu what lift it was and look up it's reliability. Now it looks like i will be buying part fo a James Duff lift from someone on here and then buying the other peices online so i couldnt tell you much more than that.

I'm sure that 6" for 500 bucks is a cheaply built one for sure, but maybe you can call them and find out what the brand is and what it somes with and ask about it again on here. Idk too much about this stuff other than what i've found out from asking and the tech library, but there are SOO many people on here that im sure could take apart my truck peice by peice and put it back together better lol And they wont mind helpin ya :p

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok this is the site i was talking about. Apearantly free shipping to US with a total price of over 500. Wish i lived in the US... lol

http://www.ntwonline.com/

Hope you get ur truck goin soon :)

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I dont see the 6 inch for 500 bucks? The other question was, is there anyway around puncturing my front diff with a dana 35 with the tuff country lift? i know ive heard about that alot, thats why i want a skyjacker, but ill need alot more money then...

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
^
once i get my welder, i'm gonna cut mine up, brace it, plate it, whatever i have to do to make it strong but give me the clearance i need.

you can also add a longer bumpstop, but then you're losing travel

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont see the 6 inch for 500 bucks? The other question was, is there anyway around puncturing my front diff with a dana 35 with the tuff country lift? i know ive heard about that alot, thats why i want a skyjacker, but ill need alot more money then...
I guess u need to call them and ask about it. It was in another thread i saw.

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
oh okay. Well if i lose travel, i guess ill have to invest into some longer radius arms =] and i have a welder and know how to fabricate sense i took some welding classes. looks like thats what ill be doing then also. So Eddie if it would be possible to put pictures up when u get that job done to give me some ideas. that would be awesome!

thanks for the advice, i now think im just gonna go with the tuff country lift, and just do my own modifications whenever i put the dana 35 in.

trev23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 liter
Transmission
Automatic
tuff country drop bracket won't punch a hole in ur diff, it comes with a complete replacement bracket ur thinking of rough country eddie :)

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
tuff country drop bracket won't punch a hole in ur diff, it comes with a complete replacement bracket ur thinking of rough country eddie :)
lol, i cant keep my "country's" straight. whatever it's called, i have the the drop plate for mine...but yes, i'll post pics in my build thread when i do it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals