• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lift options

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Long story short I need more ground clearance without ripping my front end apart. My options seem limited, and I am hoping you guys can help me figure something out. Here is how my ranger currently sits. 2003 FX4, 3" body lift, 2.75" torsion bar crank, 3" lift shackles in the rear, and 35's. And yes I know 35's is pushing it for the stock front end.

I know super-lift offers a 4" suspension lift for around $1,700 but that seems a little steep to just drop my stock suspension a few inches. Then there is SAS. It could be done for around the same. The bracketing I could do myself it I had the time, but the steering I am not comfortable doing myself. Also this being my DD I do not have time for it to be sitting on jack stands for 2 weeks wile I figure it out. So it would have to be done at a shop. If I went SAS I would have to come up with an axle. I think I could come up with a HP D30 and with all the aftermarket support I bet it could be built to handle 35's easily. The down side to this would be getting it right the first time so it does not handle like shit. At the height it would be at, last thing I would want is a roll over. I don't know, just thinking out loud right now. Bounce some ideas off me if you got any.

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd have to agree with you. your best bet would be SAS but remove the body lift and go pure spring. go with a dana 44, I can tell by the way you said you bet it could handle it means you're trying to go cheap but it would definitely be worth the difference. also what do you need more clearance for?

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
not trying to go cheap. I think a built HP D30 would cost way more than a stock D44. The reason I want to go with the HP D30 is because of the smaller diff, so it would have more clearance as well. I need more clearance because I mud race it, and need to stop dragging my frame through the mud. It slows me down and makes it a PITA to clean after the races.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
That is one really nice looking truck,Bro!!! If you got the money to spend on it just do a good lift. No BL. Don't worry about the front breaking until it does. Beef it up later on when you got some spending cash. Go out and have fun. Just shop around for the best price on a lift.

:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if that's the case I think you should definitely get a D44. you're right about a 30 being smaller and being less resistance but when it comes to axles, the only thing pushing them away from the ground would be bigger tires and with a stronger axle you can turn bigger tires. For frame clearance I suggest link and coils. it's not cheap to do things right and in a sense you'd be almost building a crawler but that's what it takes and you'd end up with the best of both worlds!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A Dana30 wasn't designed to support what the front of a Supercab Ranger weighs (the housing & tubes are pretty thin, the ring & pinion gears are smaller, and depending on year, the axle u-joints it comes with are weak). Putting 35s on top of all that is just a disaster waiting (aside from the suspension being built to support the weight, it's no stronger than your IFS).
Sure, you can build a 30 up all you want, but you'll always have the weaker R&P gears.

A '79 F-150 D44 is quite easy to narrow to RBV width. Or you can use an '80s Wagoneer D44 also. There are options available. Shave the diff if you're worried about clearance, however even without that, you'll still have FAR more clearance than you do now with your IFS crossmembers & A-arms.

There's quite a bit of info floating around here on setting up your steering (what box to use, etc.). I wouldn't let that intimidate you.

Revhendo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Definitely consider the D44. What little you will lose in ground clearance will be offset with strength. As said above, dump the body lift and go all spring. Body clearance-good.
Ground clearance-better.

Gilbee01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I concur with the rest . The d44 will give you the strength you need for the racing and the body lift is another space to fill with mud. Look into putting leaf additions or bigger springs. And the differential chopping is a vid on one of the forums. Good stuff.

-gil-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals