• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lift Kit/suspension overhual

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Soooo, check it out. Here is my current situation.

I just left for 7 month deployment, and my truck is sitting in the driveway for those 7 months. My goal is, as I save up money, to have everything I need ,ordered and sent to my house around the time for my return. What I mean by everything, is everything I need for a 4-5" lift kit, and whatever is required to fix what is broken on my suspension on my truck.

I need help though, as far as what the best route to take for such a lift kit? And what to look out for and what I should get to help the install, etc.

Also the rear passenger side leaf spring shackle separated when I put the truck on a lift due to rust. (Yeah, this 2003 is that rusty, thanks new jersey's salty ass roads) I intend to replace both the rear leaf springs anyway as those seem damaged due to my off roading. I looked at rockauto.com and they have upgraded rear leaf springs (1700lbs per spring) for about 250$ each. Is that a deal or a rip off?

Any advise will be appreciated, as I can start compiling a list and start to see how much this is going to hit the bank. Thanks!!!

rhekman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
I'm currently contemplating on what approach to take with a lift myself so I can't really lend much experience in that department, plus mine is a '95 so the front end is completely different.

Regarding the rear leaves, I highly recommend pulling the bed and wire wheel the heck out of the frame and painting it, plus I'd just bite the bullet and replace all the spring hangers at all four corners. It's not that much extra work once you've got the bed off, and things are so much more accessible. For upgrading the spring packs, 1700 lb per seems high unless they're talking about load rating instead of spring rate. Sounds like something more suited to towing and hauling than off roading. I'd suggest the longer Chevy leaves and upgraded swing shackles if that's what you're going for. More clearance, better travel, and cheaper from a salvage yard.

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For $250 a piece you might as well get new springs with the lift.

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm currently contemplating on what approach to take with a lift myself so I can't really lend much experience in that department, plus mine is a '95 so the front end is completely different.

Regarding the rear leaves, I highly recommend pulling the bed and wire wheel the heck out of the frame and painting it, plus I'd just bite the bullet and replace all the spring hangers at all four corners. It's not that much extra work once you've got the bed off, and things are so much more accessible. For upgrading the spring packs, 1700 lb per seems high unless they're talking about load rating instead of spring rate. Sounds like something more suited to towing and hauling than off roading. I'd suggest the longer Chevy leaves and upgraded swing shackles if that's what you're going for. More clearance, better travel, and cheaper from a salvage yard.
Any more info on that chevy spring swap? Not sure if I am going to go all the way with taking the bed off. Though I will consider it. The frame isnt bad with rust as far as having to worry about it structurely anyways. I may just coat it in rust converter and spray underbody coat on it.

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For $250 a piece you might as well get new springs with the lift.

So your saying that for the price I should go ahead and get those springs? Because none of the lift kits I have seen so far include entire leaf springs. Just add a leafs or blocks or both. But never entire springs.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Well, when I was in the Navy I always got a fat cash lump sum before deployment...I never had to save for anything. I got free lodging and food 7 days a week 24 hrs a day and when I lived on submarines and ships and even when I had shore duty I lived in the barracks free and had free meals. I bought what I wanted. What kind of service are you in?? What pay grade? Or maybe reserve duty being deployed?

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yea $250 is rediculously overpriced. My shop sells stock spring retailing for $165

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, when I was in the Navy I always got a fat cash lump sum before deployment...I never had to save for anything. I got free lodging and food 7 days a week 24 hrs a day and when I lived on submarines and ships and even when I had shore duty I lived in the barracks free and had free meals. I bought what I wanted. What kind of service are you in?? What pay grade? Or maybe reserve duty being deployed?
In the navy, just like you were. Though I dont know what your talking about with the lump sum prior to deployment. I just get a paycheck the 1st and the 15th. Though being out here and having no bills to speak of, I plan on coming back with a lot of cash.

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yea $250 is rediculously overpriced. My shop sells stock spring retailing for $165

Well yes, rockauto.com where I saw those springs also sold the stock springs for i think 140$...so that is a pretty good deal. The thing with the 250$ springs is that they are rated at the higher 1700-some Lbs, where as I think the stock were in the ball park of 1200Lbs. Also the 250$ springs have 5 leafs per spring as opposed to the 4 or 3 you can expect to see on the stock ones.

I'm starting to think, seeing how I don't do much hauling that the better springs may not be worth the price. But im still considering it, as Im sure those 5-leaf springs can with stand any abuse I throw at em without flinching.

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
DAYTON Part # 43781HD

Thats the part number for the springs, im going to google it, but I doubt I will find a lower price then rockauto.

Stock springs= Rear; 4WD; 3/1 = 4 Leaf, 1 1/2" Pack Thickness, 1250lb Per Spring Rating

Dayton HD springs= Rear; 4WD; Heavy Duty Aftermarket, 4/1 = 5Leaf, 1 13/16" Pack Thickness, 1750lb Per Spring Rating

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
^^^ That's the exact part #'s I sell. I'll get the exact price on it tomorrow. We are a licensed Dayton Parts LLC dealer

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ouch 60.00 shipping to my place

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I had a feeling the shipping would have been up there for that site. Im still probably going to order from them anyway, seeing how even after the 60$ shipping, it will still be cheaper then any other price I was able to find. Say 138$ per spring, so 276$ total after shipping? That's pretty much half the price of rockauto for the same springs....amazing. I Just hope they are still available and for that price around 6 months from now when I go to order them. No point in ordering them now, because if they end up being the wrong size, there no way I could return them 5-6 months after they were delivered lol.

rhekman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Spring swap info is in the tech section:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/64-inch_leaf.html

If the whole thing before shipping is less than $300 then it's probably not a bad deal. For comparison, when I bought an Explorer 8.8 from a (relatively) local salvage yard, I called them up and negotiated to keep the attached leaf springs (which they would have had to remove anyway). In the end I got a 4.11 rear with a trac-lock, disc brakes, and springs for $360 before tax. It's used but I figured 90k miles this thing is just getting broken in ;-)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals