• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lift choices

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Recently bought an 86 B2, and am starting to get it ready for winter. The tires on it now are pretty dry-cracked, but I have a nearly brand new set of General Grabber AT/2's (31/10.50/15's) on ranger wheels. I bolted them on but theres a little rubbing, and i'd really like to avoid cutting my fenders up. How much lift would be necessary to get them to fit, would a 3 inch body lift, coil spacers, and rear blocks clear? I'm in college so my budget is kind of tight at the moment.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I cleared 31's with the washer lift up front and a 1" block in the rear... well, it rubbed at full turn.

ideally just pick up a 4" rough country lift...find one used. I'll have one for sale soon (just the front lift) but have someone in line waiting first. the RC lift gets a lot of negative reviews but in all reality, I've rode on one for 4 years or so and other than stiff coils, it's not bad. the drop plate ain't a big deal if you keep the d28 front axle. however with the 4" lift, the 31's look a tad small.. you really need 32's to look right.

If I were you, I'd start with the washer lift under the coils (look in tech library) and add a 1" or so block in the rear to level it up. you could also add explorer coils and leafs if your's are sagged any.

oh btw: really clean little b2. what are you overall plans?

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
$440 new from rough country isnt that bad, i might go that route. I was thinking body lift just because i need to replace rubber bushings with polyurthane ones, some of the rubber ones have completly rotted off. So the washers are basically the same thing as something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-F150-Bronco-II-Ranger-2-Spacer-Leveling-Lift-Kit-/160507388321?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255efc61a1&vxp=mtr

that claims 2" of lift, although im kind of sceptical of that much lift, are these generally frowned upon?

waiting on my parts from rockauto, new shocks, tie rod ends, and valve covers for now. As for plans all the hard work has been done. The PO swapped a M5OD and BW transfer case from an early 90's explorer, I'd like to lift it a bit, add a roof basket for lights and a place to put my hi-lift, and fab up new bumpers, maybe a lock-rite, and to show up my Jeep worshiping friends.
First thing i really need to do is swap in a manual trans ECU, it has a really bad stumble till it warms up (which i figured was from still having an ECU from an auto)

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I don't like body lifts over 1.25" (yeah, I hang out with Jeep Guys)... nothing lines up right after a body lift and I'm kinda OCD...

those coil spacers, they might work fine, but there are a lot of people that say they crack. idk, i've never used them.

if you do suspension lift... those shocks you just ordered are useless. but IMO, the suspension lift is worth the money over a body lift... I'm just not a body lift fan at all.

elpoffroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would do the rough country 4 in lift, i think it rides extremely well, it improves the over all ride. I also have a 3 in body lift and that is another possible route and a good one if you have to replace the body mounts either ways. Its all up to if your comfortable with body lifts or if you prefer a suspension lift. Clean bronco ii man. I thinking of getting another one just for daily driving since the moment i put in 4.88s and mini spool in the back it took the daily driver out of mine lol:D

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pretty much what he said. I'm going with the Rough Country lift here pretty soon.

Last edited:

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I saw a set of billet aluminum spacers for like 50 bucks, so I might try them. The shocks were only 40 bucks total, so no real loss :D but I might just save a bit longer and go with the RC lift then, but if I can do the washers or spacers and block the back and have good tires for winter that's all i'm worried about for now

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I saw a set of billet aluminum spacers for like 50 bucks, so I might try them. The shocks were only 40 bucks total, so no real loss :D but I might just save a bit longer and go with the RC lift then, but if I can do the washers or spacers and block the back and have good tires for winter that's all i'm worried about for now
I'd try it... just space it up a little bit. see what happens. the rear is easy, blocks or add a leaf.

front you can do the washers and explorer coils if needed.

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I'll try to get them ordered soon, and report back

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
when you go to order your RC lift, call RC in Dyersburg, TN straight and see what they can do for you. if you get a hold of Ryan there, tell him Ben from MSJ sent you to them instead of ordering off eBay or something.

RC has the BEST customer service you can ask for! that's why I'd deal straight with them instead of like Truck-Add-Ons or whatever.

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
Transmission
Manual

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
probably a stupid question, but how hard are coil springs to get off and put back on?

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
pretty simple if the nut is not to badly rusted. You'll need a 1 1/8 socket and a long extension.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-RANGER-BRONCO-II-4WD-2-LEVELING-LIFT-KIT-FB2A-/110928602133?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d3dc2415&vxp=mtr

This is the aluminum one, and I always try to call, they can usually give you a better price if you talk to them and aren't an ass. If I go the suspension route I wont need these, or the shocks I ordered, gotta decide what im gonna do before I throw a bunch of money at stuff I wont need.
Looks like that comes with shock extensions.

Richard

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I use a 1-1/8" wrench unless you're dropping the axle completely out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals