• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lever Guns Anyone?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I believe Winchester came out with the first reliable lever action but like 85_Ranger4X4 said, they have been around since before the Civil War. They just had to figure out the cartridge and magazine system before they really got good.

Henry and Marlin probably have the best overall design, especially now that Henry finally got around to offering a side loading gate. Marlin took a hit when Freedom Group, turned Remington Group ruined the brand (look for the JM stamp on the side of the barrel for a good one). Now that Ruger has taken over the company, maybe things are looking up. Ruger has some fairly recent lever action experience, so might actually know how to build one. Remington never did or hadn't in a long time, so had no experience and the investment group was more interested in making money than making a quality product.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I've been eye balling this GForce Lever gun... the Huckleberry. 7 plus 1... .410 gauge. If the shells weren't so expensive... would be a pretty cool truck gun.

1702699113582.png

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I actually got my late grandfather's '94 a couple weeks ago. Late 70's 30-30, nothing super special.

Dad was with grandma at the hardware store when she got it for grandpa's birthday. It was between this and a Remington 700 bolt action. Grandpa (and dad) were huge into westerns so when grandma asked for his $.02 dad voted for the 30-30... so that is what grandpa got for his birthday.

Plot twist, you can't hunt deer in Iowa with a rifle. Too much gun for varmints or whatever (grandpa loved his .22) so I don't know if it has had a box of shells thru it. He really didn't have much use for it. I got two partial boxes of ammo with it, one is the box they got with the rifle.

It is filthy, he had an open gun rack in the bedroom and it shows. The receiver has a little of the funky finish going on and the top of the barrel is scuffed up from the gun rack but it looks really nice otherwise. It is in desperate need of a good cleaning... aka a winter project.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals