• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lever Guns Anyone?

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
With my new found love of my Winchester 9422M 22 mag, I decided it might be fun to have a center fire lever action to add to the collection.

I know Henry makes good stuff, but I just like collecting guns that are either no longer made or where made by the "original" Winchester, Marlin, etc......

So I found a JM Marlin 1894CBC which is a cowboy competition 38 special only with a 20" octagon barrel and case hardened receiver. Is in excellent condition and claims to have never been fired. So.... I bought it. Will be here Friday.

These cowboy competitions are supposedly slicked up from the factory. That is the main reason it is 38 Spl only, but I'm good with that. I don't plan on hunting with it. just plinking and 38 Spl ammo is cheaper than 357 Mag.

Should be at my FFL tomorrow. I'm excited to pick it up. These lever Guns are addicting.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Henry .22, most basic model they have. Great little shoot 'em up gun. Not a huge fan of the way you feed the magazine, but it works well.

The bottom is a Pre '64 Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. Someone really gussied this thing up too, super light/ tight trigger, little thumb extender on the hammer. I bought it to use for hunting, but haven't had much time to use it. Plus, I have a sporterized 1902 that is really nice and I tend to grab that most of the time.

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Only thing about that Henry I wish was different is the lever. It's kinda small for my fat fingers and I wish I had one of those really fat loops on it.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Henry .22, most basic model they have. Great little shoot 'em up gun. Not a huge fan of the way you feed the magazine, but it works well.

The bottom is a Pre '86 Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. Someone really gussied this thing up too, super light/ tight trigger, little thumb extender on the hammer. I bought it to use for hunting, but haven't had much time to use it. Plus, I have a sporterized 1902 that is really nice and I tend to grab that most of the time.

View attachment 70287
How do you like the .35 Remington caliber?

At some point I would like a 30/30 or similar.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It shoots similar to a 30/30, but more powerful. Great round for around here in the mountains where you aren't getting much over a 100yrd shot.

Only real negative is the price of the round, last time I bought ammo it was about $2.00 per round, compared to $1.25 per of the 30-06. Other downside is unless you want a 336 then you don't really have any choice for guns.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i have wanted one of those old school rifles for a long time but i just never can get myself to buy one. i don't know why... i guess since i have a ruger 10/22 my mind says i don't need another rifle.

i really like the henrys though. that is what i will make myself get some day

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Id love to have a lever action. Unfourtantly the wife is pretty anti gun. She almost choked when i brought home my new 12ga. She asked if i was planning on going to war lol

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had to make my wife join the fun. I bought her a 9mm for Christmas, but we are going to take handgun classes together that way she is comfortable with it. Another reason for this rifle is for her to be able to shoot it as well. Should be very mild recoil.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Of all the people Rusty.

My wife always keeps trying to borrow my .380 and not give it back. I have to hide it when I get home or it isn't going to be where I left it when I go to leave in the morning.

Maybe I'll get here one for her birthday.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Of all the people Rusty.

My wife always keeps trying to borrow my .380 and not give it back. I have to hide it when I get home or it isn't going to be where I left it when I go to leave in the morning.

Maybe I'll get here one for her birthday.
Shes has shown *some* curiosity in my .38 snub....so maybe theres hope.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I have a Model 55 in 32 Winchester SPL... from my dad's dad.

I have a Model 94 in 30-30... from my mom's dad.

I hate to do anything to the Model 55... it's fairly rare. It doesn't have the extended magazine and also has a longer barrel. It's worth more being original. The Model 94 not so much. I have thought for some time I would like to install a "mitten lever" on the 94 and maybe a leather butt wrap and sling. I would like to make this my "truck gun" to have at the ready when 2tracking during deer season. I've shot many deer with the 55 but have never even shot the 94... I'd like to shoot a few deer with it before I'm to old to hunt.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a Model 55 in 32 Winchester SPL... from my dad's dad.

I have a Model 94 in 30-30... from my mom's dad.

I hate to do anything to the Model 55... it's fairly rare. It doesn't have the extended magazine and also has a longer barrel. It's worth more being original. The Model 94 not so much. I have thought for some time I would like to install a "mitten lever" on the 94 and maybe a leather butt wrap and sling. I would like to make this my "truck gun" to have at the ready when 2tracking during deer season. I've shot many deer with the 55 but have never even shot the 94... I'd like to shoot a few deer with it before I'm to old to hunt.
I assume the 94 is pre-64 Winchester?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I looked both of them up at one point... and I honestly didn't remember what I found.

So I had to look it up again. According to the numbers the the Model 94 was made it 65. It has the stamped ejector and the bluing is just not right. Probably never was.

The Model 55 gets weird... in 1928 they joined the model 94 serial numbers... or so I read. That would make it built in 1932. It's an oddball. It has a long rifle barrel ( maybe the Sporter but not the carbine barrel for sure). It has the short magazine unlike the Sporter. It's like the one in the center. I've always wondered if it was special ordered? I really need to dig back in and see if I can find anything out.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I looked both of them up at one point... and I honestly didn't remember what I found.

So I had to look it up again. According to the numbers the the Model 94 was made it 65. It has the stamped ejector and the bluing is just not right. Probably never was.

The Model 55 gets weird... in 1928 they joined the model 94 serial numbers... or so I read. That would make it built in 1932. It's an oddball. It has a long rifle barrel ( maybe the Sporter but not the carbine barrel for sure). It has the short magazine unlike the Sporter. It's like the one in the center. I've always wondered if it was special ordered? I really need to dig back in and see if I can find anything out.

View attachment 70332
Half the fun in owning older guns is the research.

I decided I wanted a modern pistol caliber for my center-fire, that's why I decided to go with a Marlin made in the early 2000's, but I will own a pre 64 Winchester lever someday. I currently have two model 12 shotguns and 3 Super X ones. Even though the SX1 isn't a pre 64, it was built to be like old Winchester.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I really, really want a lever rifle in 45 Colt. I have visions of long octagon barrel... I think Henry makes one but they are just so expensive. I wasn't real impressed with some of the Henry .22LR levers I looked at, it appeared that the receiver and barrel were painted black as opposed to blued. Felt kinda cheap. Maybe the more expensive ones are better?

I also find myself interested in a 45-70. Or any other straight wall cartridge I guess... 30-30 is cool but I just have such a huge boner for straight walls.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals