• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Level 2 Reproduction Shifters

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have been brainstorming an idea for a while about reproducing the non existent level 2 chrome shifters, knobs, bezel, ect... It seems to me there would be a niche market for these parts. I have been on the hunt for a set of originals to copy for quite a while, but I haven't seen any for sale at any price.
I had planned on having my local machine shop turn the lever and machine the portion that clamps to the transmission. The rest I can bend and weld together, as the original is. After that chroming, the lever would be fixed to the transmission clamp.
The knobs will have to be contracted out . The plastic bezel can probably be reproduced in fiberglass. I have no idea, but it seems tooling a mold for plastic injection would be stupid costly for limited production.
Does anyone have a set of these they could sell, or can someone provide me with very detailed measurements and pictures? I could just make what seems right but I would rather make a copy as close as possible.

Thanks

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
All that sounds good, but I think there is still a very limited market for them. It seems you don't have an L 2 if you don't have the originals. Something you should consider is you can't just switch over to a manual shift with just the linkage, shifter, etc.

The linkage does not clamp to the transmission. It bolts to the extension housing and that is a special extension housing which is also rare. I understand someone has made a bracket that allowed him to modify a regular 4WD extension housing to be able to attach the manual linkage to it. However, it looked like a lot of fabrication work and the details of that were not discussed. I don't know if it even worked.

You will also need a manual shift transfer case which is not readily available.

I think fabricating that linkage would be very challenging at best. I think just adjusting the original to get it to shift right is very difficult. I would not even consider trying to fabricate it. I would take on trying repair it if needed. If you think you can do it, more power to you, but if you plan on selling complete sets, I think you would have to charge way more than anyone would want to pay. I don't know how the boots could be made without molding dies.

All of my parts are still in good condition as of now. The one thing I would not mind having a spare of is the bezel. I have done some repairs to it in non-visible areas, and it is holding up very well, but a spare would still be nice. 3D printing would probably be the best approach for the bezel, but I don't think that would work for anything else.

marcusawereally

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I can 3d print just about anything if you give me the items. I am actually looking for someone to help me redo the interior gauge cluster area with an LCD. I have a couple of items that I print for the rangers with 3D printers mostly just pla and ABS plastics, but I am working on getting a new third printer that does LED Projection printing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals