• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Let's build a boat...

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Who are you and what did you do with PJ?! Post reported!!
:ROFLMAO:

Honestly, I had no interest in sail power until I was on a catamaran. A few hours on one and I was hooked for life.

Mine is a 14' wood construction Carolina flat bottom working skiff with leeboard and electric backup. Basically, a pickup truck for harvesting oysters, shallow water stuff, etc. Great little work boat.

Only drafts 4" of water with two on board, batteries, gear, etc. Rudder and leeboard push draft to a trim 18 inches. Zippy little guy in 3-4 knot winds. Capsizes under sail in 8+ knots, so electric was a necessity because **** oars. But, that minimal draft and inherrient stability that comes with a flat bottom makes it amazing for largemouth.

However, being a flat bottom skiff, I usually get the ever loving crap hammered out of me by wakes off of even jon boats. Give and take I suppose.

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
I prefer outboard engines. I run twin evinrude 250 2 strokes. They move my 26 foot grady white like a bat outta hell and old Grady's like old sea Ray's are built like tanks. My buddy has a similar sized marlin and it weighs half as much since its essentially a balsa wood boat with fiberglass coating instead of a true self bailing solid glass double hull. Having twin engines gives alot of peace of mind when your offshore too.

I thought about repowering my boat several years ago but to get the same power from modern 4 stroke engines the weight difference is insane. Nothing beats old emissions free 2 strokes for pure horsepower to weight. The biggest problem I have was the oil systems died long ago so I have to premix 110 gallons of fuel which is NOT fun.
Can't believe I scrolled right past this earlier... I thought about converting to outboards but decided against it. The new ones are nice but are made out of gold-plated unobtanium. $60k for motors on a $6k boat? The units I can afford will need parts soon and those parts are often either discontinued or very hard to find. Another reason I want to build an auto/truck engine core or two - if it needs an alternator or starter, for example, a rebuilt part for $50 from any auto parts shop will do just fine.

Emissions free 2 smokes are awesome though. I have a 20HP Merc for a little 12' aluminum lake boat. It actually specifies 10W-30 in the premix. Fogs out the lake worse than diesel guys at a truck meet but holy hell that thing rips.

Honestly, I had no interest in sail power until I was on a catamaran. A few hours on one and I was hooked for life.

Mine is a 14' wood construction Carolina flat bottom working skiff with leeboard and electric backup. Basically, a pickup truck for harvesting oysters, shallow water stuff, etc. Great little work boat.

Only drafts 4" of water with two on board, batteries, gear, etc. Rudder and leeboard push draft to a trim 18 inches. Zippy little guy in 3-4 knot winds. Capsizes under sail in 8+ knots, so electric was a necessity because **** oars. But, that minimal draft and inherrient stability that comes with a flat bottom makes it amazing for largemouth.

However, being a flat bottom skiff, I usually get the ever loving crap hammered out of me by wakes off of even jon boats. Give and take I suppose.
Hey! I learned to sail on one of those! If I didn't live in inland WA I'd definitely have one... LOVE oysters.

But I also love the sound of raw horsepower spilling out of twin engines and "Captain's Call" open headers. I do my best to not be that guy blasting everyone else out of their boats but nothing beats opening it up on smooth water.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I invested heavily in boats-n-hoes in 2008 and almost lost everything.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
GM LS would be my vote

It would bolt up to what you have, make as much power as you want it to with decent economy. Plus small, lightweight and excellent parts support.

Last edited:

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
Come to think of it I haven't seen anything LS in the junkyards yet. They are either all picked over by the time I get there or they are in the $4,000-6,000 range. That's near the top end of what I want to spend on power and we haven't bought a drive big enough to take that much yet.

I have been considering twin Vortec 4.3 V6s. 400 bucks, 200 each. Two hot dips, deck jobs, and .30 overbores looks like around $900. Add master rebuild kits & cams for each motor we're up to $1900, additional wiring and cheap ECMs have us just under 3k combined and ready to mount. Keep the accessories from the JY & clean them up a bit. That's not including "marine" wet-jacket manifolds which are dime-a-dozen used on Craigs out here. Plus I can use the cheap drives.

Horsepower sells boats & bragging rights at the pub. Torque pushes water. More dirty thoughts about a V10 or at least the 5.4... 457 lb-ft of stock twisties is tickling the nuts of diesel power or stroker & cam kits in GM/LS but with the RPM range you want in a cruiser. You can "allegedly" get 30-40 more horses out of a tune, but this is in the auto world. Messing with phasing to get it to run a boat might net a bit more torque lower down. And if I only have to buy one drive, I can hook that 10 cylinder monster to this mean SOB...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do contrarotating props work better in a boat than on airplanes?

Seems like they are all ooo and ahh until the gearbox craps out...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Russia seems to think they work good. Their biggest bomber uses them.

Russian_Bear_'H'_Aircraft_MOD_45158140 (1).jpg

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
cough hemi cough... ?

Forgot to mention, hemi mds can be turned off. The manual trans engines don't have it at all

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Your hemi makes you cough? You might wanna get that checked...

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
Do contrarotating props work better in a boat than on airplanes?
Quite a bit better. Single props kinda just sling water everywhere. Some goes back, some down, up, left, right... If you've tried reverse or idle-forward with a sterndrive you know what I mean. It's all over the place. Forget what you know about steering a car because you'll feel like you're about to take out half the dock. Contra-rotating props pull tangentially displaced fluids back into the secondary prop to create a more concentrated "beam" of force. You lose out on the top end but the control you gain on the bottom end is worth it in a boat this size. Think of it like cornering in a Tahoe with junked out shocks vs. in a brand-new Explorer. Twin-engine setups with one prop add axial control but can be just as rough in reverse as they haven't solved the tangential flow problem. In the air it's anywhere between 6% and 16% gains in efficiency according to the net.
__

Hemi MDS can be turned off, but the C****LER plant it came out of cannot ;missingteeth;:icon_rofl:

As for the Russian nuclear bombers with contra-rotators: they're jet turbine powered to the tune of 115,000 shaft-horses per unit. Contra-rotators are extremely good in situations with big power and heavy load and help to decrease losses. The commercial version of @Dirtman and his Tu-95 actually holds the world speed record for prop aircraft!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ahh yes, boats....

I picked myself up a little 17’ Bayliner that didn’t make it into the water last year as planned. Been kicking around the idea of at some point replacing the 1989 Ford 2.3 in it with a newer 2.3 and possibly going EFI but I haven’t gone beyond idle thoughts on the matter so far. I want to do a head gasket on it and give it some love for the moment and test it out

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
... and give it some love ...
How about 5 PSI worth of love? :wub: Turbos and marine engines go together like fine wine and cheese. Mild boost won't get too hot for the engine bay and is apparently easy to tune if you have a Quarter Horse or something similar. If you have big gears on the drive you'll be able to run a pitch or two larger with both injection and boost.

If you want it this season, I have an EFI DP 2.3 head, dual plug DIS, upper & lower intake, throttle body & sensors, fuel rail, and a few misc. EFI sensors left over that I'd be more than happy to cut you a cheap deal on. I don't have the harness or computer however.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Ahh yes, boats....

I picked myself up a little 17’ Bayliner that didn’t make it into the water last year as planned. Been kicking around the idea of at some point replacing the 1989 Ford 2.3 in it with a newer 2.3 and possibly going EFI but I haven’t gone beyond idle thoughts on the matter so far. I want to do a head gasket on it and give it some love for the moment and test it out
Heard you died. ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals