• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Let's build a boat...

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
Crack a cold one, guys. Never thought I'd say it but I'm officially out of stupid redneck things to burn large amounts of my income on and I'm desperately in need of something new...

.... so I looked in my backyard. I have a boat! A 27-foot 1978 Sea Ray Weekender. Heavy old S.O.B. with a hull so thick you'd have to put some real effort into sinking it. New cruisers come with less than half the fiber they sprayed into this thing. When it's on the trailer I'd say that whole setup tops 10k. Motivated by a single 260HP C***y 350 and quenched by a 100 gallon fuel tank, you'd be lucky to top it out at 35. In two words, this thing is Slow & Thirsty. It also needs that 350 replaced, and when that's out, stringers and a new transom need to go in which is a perfect time to convert to twins. Exactly what I'm looking for! a hole to throw paychecks at ;missingteeth;

So TRS... Let's build a boat this spring. What the hell are we shoving in this engine bay?

Back in the day they sold these beasts with either the single 350, twin I6 (some GM crane ballast weights rebranded as "470") and I've heard of twin I4 Iron Dukes. They are common contenders for single big blocks but I want to use the cheap "Alpha" drives and not the gold-plated unobtanium "Bravo" drives. The Alphas max out at 300 HP but do not list a torque spec. And I want to stick some Fords in there.

Today at the local JY I saw no shortage of 3.5 V6s already pulled, both n/a and EcoBoost. JY charges just over 200 bucks for the whole engine assembly and everything on it whether its a 3-cyl geo metro motor or a v10 Triton so that's where any motors for this are coming from. They're much lighter, smoother, and GDI is really nice on gas at low revs. Wouldn't (okay that's a lie I probably would) be opposed to mod motors like the early 5.4s.

Kinda want:
- Ford motors. Obvious reasons.
- +-250HP per motor. Could be 225. Could be a full-send-it outdrive shredder.
- EFI. You guys know I hate it. Computers are both better and worse in boats. Fuel vapor control (and no open spark in a distributor) being the largest benefit and sensor/wire/connector corrosion being the largest detractor. Carbs release fuel vapors in enclosed spaces... Much as I love 'em in cars, I really don't want to be shark BBQ so I have no problems rigging up injection.
- Smaller and lightweight. Less weight = less water displaced by hull loading = more speed.
- More beer.

Indifferences:
- Block metal. It's set up for closed loop cooling. Aluminum would do just fine.
- Marine manifolds. I'll heat wrap them and weld up custom wet dump pipes. Better in the Washington winters anyways.
- Marine distributors/alternators/starters/etc. EFI systems with full vapor control and proper use of the engine blower will not cause a boom.
- OBD-II. Would consider OBD1 or Megasquirt if proven tunability & ease of diagnostic & spares can be carried. I want to be able to flash the exact same tune to both motors.

Get out:
- Big blocks. Too much fuel. $1 more/gal at the docks.
- Honda/rice motor/4 cyl swaps. Loading is way different in boats and the fab work would be a PITA. Two I4s won't move this thing.
- Weird aftermarket locked "self learning" devices. I need to be able to code for the thing or at least load fuel maps onto stock computers. I can be somewhat effective with most C-based languages and BASIC. Not assembler code. I have some abilities to interface with various microcontrollers & some other experience with the JTAG interface.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
5.7 OR 6.4 hemi with multi displacement. My 6.4 challenger highway cruises at 24-26 mpg.

With 475/475 hp and torque.

If you're going to send it,

Send it.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Oh. And Gen 3 hemi is part ford cologne, so, technically meets your Ford requirement. ??

Screenshot_20200205-165258.png

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
5.7 OR 6.4 hemi with multi displacement. My 6.4 challenger highway cruises at 24-26 mpg.

With 475/475 hp and torque.

If you're going to send it,

Send it.
Multi-displacement doesn’t seem like a good idea for a boat... the engine is always under load.

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
hemi with multi displacement
I think snoranger is correct here. Multi-displacement, cylinder deactivation, etc wouldn't work in a boat. The load curve is linear & boats don't shift to reach cruising speed. I'd lock out VCT phasers too. Now EGR, EGR might work at just-off-idle cruise.

Now I like the idea of cranking out nearly 1,000 horses total but I don't know what I would do with that. It could be cheaper with a 383 stroker kit and a camshaft however.

...also... FIAT :icon_rofl:

srv260-bus.jpg

This is what some guy over in Europe looks like sitting in the same model next to a bus.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
I have a boat, lol several. That is my 1st love. This one is carbon fiber 190# 15'

Attachments

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Boats is goes splishy splashy.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Multi-displacement doesn’t seem like a good idea for a boat... the engine is always under load.
Eh, wtf do I know, mine is sail and electric.

I went green I guess ??‍♂

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I prefer outboard engines. I run twin evinrude 250 2 strokes. They move my 26 foot grady white like a bat outta hell and old Grady's like old sea Ray's are built like tanks. My buddy has a similar sized marlin and it weighs half as much since its essentially a balsa wood boat with fiberglass coating instead of a true self bailing solid glass double hull. Having twin engines gives alot of peace of mind when your offshore too.

I thought about repowering my boat several years ago but to get the same power from modern 4 stroke engines the weight difference is insane. Nothing beats old emissions free 2 strokes for pure horsepower to weight. The biggest problem I have was the oil systems died long ago so I have to premix 110 gallons of fuel which is NOT fun.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Hay, I try hard!!! But I'm stuck in the 1970's.
Only thing I can do real good is order stuff on line, Amazon is my best friend.
;missingteeth;
Grumpaw

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
At least his link worked. I got there and saw the cartoon.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
I went green I guess
Who are you and what did you do with PJ?! Post reported!!

These any better ???
:icon_bounceblue:
Grumpaw
How do you know where I posted this from? :icon_rofl:

---
Couple IDI 7.3s out at the yard I went to early this morning. I'm that guy... JY on the way to work lol! Not sure how much weight I can stick back there but for towing reasons I want to set a hard limit for engines at 1,200lb combined (excl. drives etc) just so the thing doesn't swing around on the freeway. My 5.4 isn't too happy with it as is. If you ever want to watch a gas needle actually move on an uphill pull, come boating!

Here's a guy that stuck his Ranger 2.3L in a boat! A triple-2.3 frankenRanger boat? Maybe two 4.0s with light work to hit 275HP/motor?

Saw a Ford V10 lying sideways in the mud looking for some summer lovin'. Single V10 would make some sweet boating happen if I had a backup outboard... And I can handle CAN.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals