• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Let’s talk mice…

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So once again the fight is on here. Seems in the summer around here it’s about impossible to trap a mouse. But fall and winter are an entirely different story. And every year we lose the battle, little @#$&*%=+ destroy something. Last year between my trucks that I put traps in and my box truck, I wiped out about 40 or so. Three trucks with a single trap each and one of the 5 gallon bucket traps that uses a sort of rolling pin in the box truck. Not sure how many we got out of the attic.

Have two traps out right now, need to get the rest going here soon. Dad got I think 8-10 out of the attic so far.

Pretty sure our mice have some brain damage or something though…

Anyone have good recommendations on getting rid of them or keeping them away from stuff?

Attachments

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
a couple outdoor cats in addition to your traps. the mice will stay away from the area if they know an apex predator is skulking around. The mice will smell the cats and where they mark their territory and stay away from that area. you will likely see a drop in your trap harvest as well.

The issue with the cats is that coyote's and owls/ hawks and other large raptors can get the cats.

so build them a nice place to get a way or bring them into the garage in the evening and let them out to hunt early in the morning through the day. A friend of mine has done this for several years, and still has the same two cats. before that, they would disappear all the time.

AJ

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Can’t we all just get along.
4B3AC6C0-CC4A-4468-812B-90CE668C934D.jpeg

No, just foolin around. Cats. I keep two well fed and I rarely see a mouse that isn’t dead on the back porch. A gift for the cat chow. Works for red squirrels moles rats and rabbits.

Edit.... get your cats spayed or neutered. The males will stay around and won’t mark everything with their stank. The females won’t make more.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
We have had one or two indoor/outdoor cats for years. Actually saw less mice when we had a German Shepherd. They don’t seem to mind the cats. Cats are in at night and free to roam during the day. One of our current cats was a feral that made a home under the one shed and the other is her daughter.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Have you tried more traps?

That’s all I got. I’ve started seeing mouse poop in the kitchen.

Had a stray that had kittens near the garage, mice disappeared for a while. Cats left, mice came back.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I use traps that I buy at the dollar store. They are black plastic and self setting. Face them against a wall WITHOUT bait. Mice like to travel against walls and will run over the trigger and BAMM!

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have one of those large boxed that can catch multiple mice, leave that in the attic.

Use glue traps on the kitchen counters, black plastic trays with green goo.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I've been fortunate to have only had a couple in my house. There was evidence of an extensive problem when I bought the house so I spent a lot of time caulking small holes, filling bigger ones with spray foam, and fixed a couple large areas that bigger creatures could come through. I caught one after that in the basement, found a dead one in the furnace and a few turds in one spot but that's been the extent of it.

I don't do much in the vehicles, haven't had an issue yet, but I did buy one that sat in a field for 10 years. It had ZERO rodent damage but the owner had put these little bags of stuff under the seats, it was called "Fresh Cab" I think. Every single other vehicle that I've pulled out of a field, without exception, has had a mouse nest or 10 in it...I can only assume that those scent bags work.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
We have an assortment of traps. Not many of the old snap traps, but a pile of the black plastic version. I took to using the covered traps in the trucks. Bait everything with peanut butter. I have one of the tin cat traps (metal repeater) but in all the years I’ve had it, it’s never caught one mouse.

My parents house is solid concrete from the footer to the roof. We built it using ICF blocks, foam blocks that you fill with concrete. The exterior is clad in brick. Both myself and dad have been around the house multiple times and can’t find the tiniest hole, but somehow we always have mice in the attic. Only thing I can think of is that maybe they got in during construction and we just never managed to kill them all.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have one of those large boxed that can catch multiple mice, leave that in the attic.

Use glue traps on the kitchen counters, black plastic trays with green goo.
Read this: https://www.hsi.org/news-media/glue-traps-faqs/. It is written for the UK, but could be applied to the US and Canada, too. Do NOT use glue traps. Mice caught in them will suffer, and causing unnecessary suffering is, I'm sure, a criminal offense in most states, and in Canada.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I don’t like using glue traps. I hate mice but don’t particularly want to make them suffer. I have used them when all else fails though. There was a mouse at my girls place that would rob or avoid any trap. After trying for a good while, couple weeks at least, a glue trap went down. We promptly ended the suffering, but it got rid of the troublemaker

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I have used something like these with great success.
Every winter our house would get infested. Cats made no difference. This stuff, plus putting steel wool in the holes where they are coming, in fixed our problem. They hate steel wool because they can't chew it up, so they avoid it. The also hate the smell of peppermint. That's where the little bags come into play. Put them anywhere you don't want mice. They can smell it from a long ways and will also avoid it

"Steel wool is a great way to block the small holes pests use to enter your home. First off, steel wool is tough but flexible; it can be pushed into all shapes and sizes of cracks and crevices. Pests like rats and mice hate chewing through steel wool, since the sharp edges hurt them the more they try to chew. Sep 26, 2021
How to Use Steel Wool for Pest Control | Family Handyman"

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Read this: https://www.hsi.org/news-media/glue-traps-faqs/. It is written for the UK, but could be applied to the US and Canada, too. Do NOT use glue traps. Mice caught in them will suffer, and causing unnecessary suffering is, I'm sure, a criminal offense in most states, and in Canada.
I'm sure the poison you can buy at any Walmart wouldn't be considered cruel by many.

But while in the restaurant business... I had to keep a file and have a monthly log for pest control. I chose Orkin to be my vendor. They use wall traps with a glue pad in them. I highly doubt it's a criminal offence. In fact I'm positive it's not. One of the worlds largest exterminator companies certainly would not do it if it was.

I'm a hunter and a trapper... I also consider myself a very ethical sportsman. The rules change when vermin are causing or even about to cause damage to personal property. Most laws even protect you in the event that damage is occurring.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
For the glue traps I mostly used them in the kitchen, check them in the morning before work, kill any mice I find, set new ones. They also have poison in the glue so if they are there for more then a day they are dead at any rate.

I agree, not the most humane way to deal with the problem, but I have found it to be extremely effective.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
the bad thing about glue traps is you catch other things in them, too. our cats have stepped in them and i have a caught a few snakes in them. i don't kill snakes, even rattlers, because they have a purpose in our ecology. mice breed so much i have no problem killing them but i use those green things they eat. the negative is you have to find them once they die and sometimes they are hard to find.

since i have a number of cats now, though, i have not had a mouse issue in a few years. the female cats are the hunters so get a few fixed and let them be garage or outdoor with garage access and you will probably be good. they even take car of snakes, if snakes are an issue. i have had to save a snake or two from death by cat

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals