• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Left Rear Door Ajar

rcpbob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
On my 2020 Ranger Super Cab (new, 200 miles) gets a Left Rear Door Ajar alarm on the dash. My Ford dealer can't look at it for a couple of weeks (but they can sell you a car quickly). If you shut the left rear door and push at the top of the door as you shut it, half the time the alarm will go off. This door seems loose at the top when closed (compared to the right rear). Anything I can do to fix the problem, can the upper door latch be adjusted ?
Thanks all. Bob

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm not sure how the indicators for door ajar actually display on the current Gen Ranger. But what you say is confusing me. It is industry standard the left or right side of the vehicle is determined by sitting in the driver seat.

This would make the driver side the left side and passenger side the right side. So if the indicator says "Left Rear Door Ajar" it is referring to the driver side rear door.

There are several people on here with the latest Gen Rangers and they may be able to help you with some answers.

rcpbob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry for the confusion Uncle Gump. I corrected my wording.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There are a couple of things you can do. The upper latch is not "adjustable" but it is a "S" shaped bracket that bolts to the top of the cab. You can remove the bracket and use a Dremel to elongate the mounting holes so that when you re-install the bracket you can slide it farther in so that the door is held closer to the body when closed. I had to do that on the '09 to get rid of a rattle on the rear doors. The lower latch has a little adjustment slot so you can move that one inboard a little also if needed.

The 2nd thing you can do is spray some WD40 around the latches - Ford likes to put the sensor switches in the latch, and if the switch has gotten sticky it can show the "door ajar" message even when the door is properly closed. Some WD40 often makes the switch work properly again.

One or both of those should take care of the problem for you.

rcpbob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That's where I can push the door around , at the top of the left rear. any idea how the plastic around the top latch (when I say latch, I'm referring to the cargo hook type anchor on the frame around the door) comes off ? You think that with the door being loose, that the switch is messed up on a 200 miles new 2020 Ranger ? Thanks for the suggestions. Bob

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals