• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Led trail tails?

sjranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been considering upgrading my tail lights to led lighting but I know too many people who have been unhappy with the simple led bulbs. So then I though of maybe trying something like they use on the xj's...

Any thoughts??

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
i personally think they look kinda dumb. whats the cost of them?

sjranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They don't exist so I would be making them myself. The plan is to make a steel box the same shape as the existing BII tails. It would basically look like the snapon style taillight shades that they make, only all steel and painted to match the truck.

Then I would use the red oval trailer style flush mounts for the stop/park/turn in the rear and a small round white led below for reverse. On the sides I plan on using a small round red for the state required side view park lamp.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've alwys liked that style light! kinda hard to do on a 93+ Ranger though, due to the curve.

Something I saw a month or so ago on the trail, was a guy who had LEDs on his Jeep, but there was only 1 casing (on each side) for both the brake light, running light, and back up light. There was a red area in the middle, which if I recall, had half of the LEDs on one circuit, and half on the other. That way when half the LEDs are illuminated, you have running lights, and when both circuits are illuminated, then you had brake lights. Then the back up lights were a ring of white LEDs, around the red center.

I don't know how much they were, or even where he got them, but I thought they were really cool, and simple!!

sjranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is just a rough idea of two ideas i had...

I originally thought I'd like a backup lamp somewhere but I can just use the ones on my roof rack, they are plenty bright. Also, if I chose the oval style or twin 2.5" lights I wouldn't have much room left haha

dogboy, I think I've seen that style before but I think they might be too larke to fit my application, the stock tail is only 4.5" at its widest point and I need to have a skeleton under the skin for strength. The plan at this point is to use 1/2" conduit for the skeleton and rounded corners if that makes sense. It should end up lookin like a factory tail made out of steel before I cut the hole for the light

Any thoughts on the rounds or oval?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
In addition to the marker light, you need to have a red reflector on the side. You can get LEDs with reflective lenses. You may also need reflectors on the rear. I don't think a cop will ever stop you for that, but if you really wanted to be 100% legal, you'd need them.

Oh yeah, and +1 on oval.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oval for sure. also, for the back-up light, i just got one of those round tractor flood lights and mounted it inside my spare tire. i wanted to be able to use whenever i want so i wired it to a switch on my dash. it's on my Geo Tracker trail/dd with rear mounted spare. well protected and puts the light where i need it. just a thought

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Oval looks alot better.

sjranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oval had my vote as well, I'll likely be ordering them today. If the weather cooperates I may start these this weekend :icon_thumby:

I'll look into the led/reflector issue for the side but I don't think I get too much greif on it round here. I plan on making these removable so around inspection time I can pop on my factory tails and have no issues.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
That should look pretty sweet. I considered going that way if I bob my bed. I like your bumper/tire carrier setup as well. what kind of latch did you use?

sjranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I originally used one the the latches and striker pins from my rear hatch but that has since been canabalized for my tube doors. Now I use a receiver hitch style drop pin that goes through the swing out into the bumper. The pin has a ring on the top that makes it easy to pull out plus allows me to lock it to the carrier so it can't be opened

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals