• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

led tail light issues

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
I was having issues with my tail lights on my 85 ranger and decided to try the led replacement bulbs. My son's car gad no issues but when I turn on either turn signal I get 4 ways. I've grounded both bulbs even deleting the ground going back to the switch. Before the leds the lights worked great.

B4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Singlecab, not sure if a flasher unit or the resistors would affect your problem... But this is what I saw on superbrightled's website: https://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb_notes.php.

Hopefully I don't get in trouble for linking to another website! Can't find the other posts that I saw awhile back about putting resistors inline to affect the current drawn... But maybe that will help if each light had one wired in?

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
thanks I will try a new flasher unit for led lights

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
I had to wire in the resisters to get my led tail lights to work.

CAD

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
changed all of my lights to Led and had to solder in 12v diodes (from radio shack) in the parking light wires at each light, otherwise when I turned on the turn signals all lights flashed including dash. Used an electronic flasher from superbrightleds and everything works great now.

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
how do I wire in the resistors???

B4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
So you did the upgraded flasher AND soldered in those diodes? Just one option wasn't enough to get 'em to work good?

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
bought an electric flasher still have the bleed over when lights are off if my lights are on they work perfectly

CAD

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Because of the way the lamps are made, half of the bulb is lit with the lights on and the other half flashes when you put on the turn signal. with the lights off the entire lamp flashes which back feeds current through the parking light circuit, hence the need for the diode in the wire just before every park light front and back. newer vehicles, depending on make, have a diode in the parking light circuit, my Mercedes had it at the headlight switch. Could have probably got away with one diode in the system at the switch but since I had all the lights out already and for .55 cents each, I went ahead and put them in before the lamp socket and sealed them with some shrink tube.

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Cool thanks. How am I supposed to wire in the diode/resistor

CAD

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
You need to purchase 4 -12v diodes from Radio Shack and at the park turn signal plugs at the lamp socket cut the hot wire going to the parking lamp. If I remember right it is the brown wire, double check to make sure. unwrap the electrical tape wrap on the wiring and slip a small shrink tube on the wire, you can purchase this at Radio Shack also. cut out about an inch and a half of the wire and trim the leads on the diode to about two inches, do this so that the overall wire length remains the same. There is a band of color on one end of the diode which marks the cathode side (this is the side that blocks the flow of current from that direction). this side goes to the lamp socket and will stop the back feeding of current when the turn signals are on. After you solder both ends into the parking lamp wire pull the shrink tube over the diode and solder joints and with a lighter heat up the shrink tube to seal everything. Rewrap the harness with electrical tape and repeat this procedure on the other three lamp sockets front and back. and all should be good.

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
thanks CAD,and others. I really appreciate it. I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to working on my cars I just like to get a full and complete understanding when it comes to stuff I've never done before.

CAD

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
No problem, hope it helps you out. By the way your not the only one who likes to see the full picture before jumping in head first on a project.

B4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Ah, I was WONDERING how those diodes were supposed to go (try to get it done myself now). Thanks for the info, CAD!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals