• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

LED reverse lights!!!!

Julian25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, in my Ranger I have 5% window tint in all the back windows. At night time, it's extremely hard to see behind me while I'm backing up. I NEED some really bright reverse lights that will make it safer when I'm backing up. Anybody know exactly what I need? The brighter the better. I'm willing to drop some bucks..

1998 Ranger XLT

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Best bet is to add lights, in or under the bumper.
Problem with using higher wattage in the stack housing is you can melt the lens or wiring.

The added lights would need there own 12v wire and fuse.
And you would use a relay on the reverse light wire, to activate the added lights.

Julian25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Any way you can elaborate on that? Any lights you would recommend?

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have 2.5% tint all the way around except on the windshield of course. Added a LED light bar and that helped a little.

http://www.amazon.com/Rampage-960137-Tailgate-Backuplight-Function/dp/B000MVTKRG/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1422840362&sr=1-1&keywords=Rampage+960137+49%22+LED+Tailgate+Light+Bar+with+Reverse+Backuplight+Function&pebp=1422840367706&peasin=B000MVTKRG

Helped a bit. Its really bright also helps others see your tail,brake,blinker funtions also. I hooked it up to my trailer harness and just unplug it when I.m towing my little jet ski trailer.

Then I got a rear-view mirror backup camera. That really helped.

http://www.amazon.com/Peak-PKC0RG-Rearview-Mirror-3-5-Inch/dp/B004VJMEEQ/ref=sr_1_33?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1422840620&sr=1-33&keywords=backup+camera

Just extend the camera wire like 6 feet so you can locate the transmitter closer to the mirror. I have mine behind the glove box.

I work and drive a lot at night so all this stuff really helps.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

I've always used the $20-$30 halogen lights you find at the part stores on the back of my trucks.

You can see one at the right rear of the bed, and list under the left side of the roll bar.

On my full size trucks, I mount them to the receiver hitch frame or under the bumper.

Attachments

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
'94
'98
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3 & 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Trying to be a better Christian than non-christians.
I put clear driving lights on the back of my 1998, mounted separately, for reverse lights. They have their own 14gauge fused wire and a relay with the existing reverse wire serving as the trigger. The relay uses little power.

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Amazon search for Tuff LED Light, 2 pack for $48. While I don't have them in my truck, i do use them on my tractor they work very well.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I put clear driving lights on the back of my 1998, mounted separately, for reverse lights. They have their own 14gauge fused wire and a relay with the existing reverse wire serving as the trigger. The relay uses little power.
This is what I did too, works great. I also wired in a 3-way switch so I can turn them on manually for hooking up my trailer and loading motorcycles in the dark.

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I actually found a photo I took of my tractor ( yeah yeah, I know it's little) with the Tuff Light LED lights on. You can see the stock head lamps and the 100w flood lamp on my barn for comparison. I mounted one forward and one backwards.

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
another thing - are you sure your backup switch is good? I've got the same tint, and an intermittent backup switch... when it works, I can see the lights, but if not, clearly nothing is visible.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
On top of the bumper is better than under the bumper. If you get to close to something with the lights under the bumper it will block almost all the light. Plus on top of the bumper you will get a better coverage area.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals