• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

leaking coolant from head and oil from valve cover need help im a first timer

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
so i drove the truck a whole 5 miles wednesday checked the oil befor i left too every thing was fine and parked it sat all day thursday. thurs day i noticed a wet spot under it and didnt have time to look at it. then today i find coolant and oil leaking and coolant in the oil. well basicaly the truck hasnt over heated since spring and out of no where its leaking oil from valve cover and coolant from the head. so what all do i need to take off to pull the head i have the alt and belt tenisoner and mounting bracket off and am in the process of taking the coil pack bracket off but do i need to remove exaust manifolds and intake manifolds? this truck makes me :bawling: i have 20 dollars to my name and unemployed and then this happens.

Bryan101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Im was basically in the same boat with my 1996 i had a blown head gasket on the 4-5-6 (driver side)... i never pulled the exhaust manifold off i left it on the head and disconnected the 2 bolts on the Y pipe (EGR was being a bi*** so it stayed on too lol). I bought a head gasket set from advance for like $100 and new 20 or 30 bucks head bolts. I didnt drain the A/C just took off the comp and moved it to the side.Just make sure you take some pic so u dont forget how to put it back together. happy fixing BTW make sure its this and not ur intake manifold gasket leaking radiator (common). But i seriously doubt its the head gasket if its leaking externally! where its leaking first!!!!!!!!!!!

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
its coming from right underneth the head but once i pull the maifold off i should know if its the head or not. so has any one used graphite head gaskets im on a budget and if i can get away with using them well im all for it. to me its just a no brainer, graphite vs multi layered steel but i just wanted to know if there was any success with the graphite or not

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
its coming from right underneth the head but once i pull the maifold off i should know if its the head or not. so has any one used graphite head gaskets im on a budget and if i can get away with using them well im all for it. to me its just a no brainer, graphite vs multi layered steel but i just wanted to know if there was any success with the graphite or not
Which manifold is it leaking by, intake or exhaust? It is very possible for the intake gasket to blow out and start leaking. I thought I had a bad head gasket on my Explorer, but was pleasantly surprised to find out it was only the intake gasket. Mine started leaking just to the right of the thermostat housing.

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
if you are facing the front of the motor its on the left side (passenger side) and it looks to be coming from right underneth the head where it sits on block but also on top of water pump area. so front of motor on top of water pump and under head. that is where coolant is coming from. underneath intake i belive. but compression is good if not kinda high in that head. any ideas?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nope!

if you are facing the front of the motor its on the left side (passenger side) and it looks to be coming from right underneth the head where it sits on block but also on top of water pump area. so front of motor on top of water pump and under head. that is where coolant is coming from. underneath intake i belive. but compression is good if not kinda high in that head. any ideas?
Way too general! Wipe the coolant off and watch carefully and FIND the exact place where the leak is occuring! It ain't hand-grenades! You most likely have a small hole somewhere that the coolant is escaping from.. FIND that small hole and you will know how to make the repair..
As a side note the compression hasn't got one damn thing to do with that leak.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
its confirmed the lower intake gasket is leaking. big jim if coolant was leaking from the head wouldnt compression of dropped? correct me if i am wrong

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nope!

its confirmed the lower intake gasket is leaking. big jim if coolant was leaking from the head wouldnt compression of dropped? correct me if i am wrong
I have repaired several leaks from UNDER the head. If the gasket isn't holding between the outside and a coolant passage the coolant will excape to the outside of the engine without "seeing" any comperssion.

The only readable difference in compression would be if there was a valve or ring problem. If the coolant was leaking into the compression chamber then the opposite would occur and the compression would blow coolant out the rdiator cap..
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals