• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leaf spring hanger bolt stuck!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
LT265/75/R16
Hey guys, I am currently in the process of replacing the rear leaf spring shackles and hangers along with swapping in some Explorer leaf springs on my 1990 Ford Bronco II. The front shackles look like they are in good shape so I am not going to replace them. I got the nut off of one side but the bolt is stuck inside the bushing. There is no room to get an air hammer behind the bolt. On the other side, the bolt broke off half-way inside the leaf spring. I am stuck and I don't know what to do to get those bolts out. Help!

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cutting wheel is your best friend...

BeaterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 4.6, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Yea i've come across this more times then i'd like to remember. Like 86 slo-vo said a cutting wheel. You got to cut the bolt between the shackle/hanger and the leaf spring itself. Ive also used a sawzall. When you put new bolts in use antiseize- and i actually see a company sells a leaf bolt kit now i'll try and find where i seen it.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
and once you cut it out...chances are youll need a torch or some other form of heat to pound it out...i would bet you wont get it out of the sleeve, and will be better off burning out the old bushing and putting a new one in.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
If you can get the back nut off, you can spin the bolt in the bushing with an impact till it heats up and use something to try and pry while your spinning it to slowely work it out. Be sure to soak it all down real good with pb blaster. I just delt with this the other day...

I have a body lift so I could fit an impact in there, without one you might not.

As far as the broken one, cutting is the only way.

Last edited:

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cut the bolt between the hanger and spring on both sides.... press or hammer out the whole sleeve (and broken bolt) out of the bushing. the sleeve is split and will come right off of the broken bolt. reinsert with some silicone spray.... like magic.

jsulen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
nissan
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I am currently in the process of replacing the rear leaf spring shackle hanger and hangers along with swapping in some Explorer leaf springs on my 1990 Ford Bronco II. The front shackles look like they are in good shape so I am not going to replace them. I got the nut off of one side but the bolt is stuck inside the bushing. There is no room to get an air hammer behind the bolt. On the other side, the bolt broke off half-way inside the leaf spring. I am stuck and I don't know what to do to get those bolts out. Help!
Here are the process on how you can replace it...

• Make sure the vehicle is parked on a solid, level surface to ensure that it does not roll or lean when raised.
  • Using a floor jack, lift up the rear of the vehicle enough for the axle assembly to hang freely.
  • Secure the vehicle with jack stands on both sides for safety before starting any work. Do not rely on the jack to hold the vehicle up while working.
  • Support the rear axle assembly with a floor jack close to the spring .
  • Remove the lower bolt from the shock absorber.
  • Lower the axle to relieve tension on the spring. Remove the U-bolts and spring retainer bracket.
  • If necessary, remove the parking brake cable from the retainer bracket.
  • For springs that are mounted on top of the axle, carefully lower the rear axle. Do not allow the axle to hang from any hoses or cables.
  • Loosen the rear shackle bolts. Support the leaf spring with a jack stand. Remove the leaf spring front and rear eye bolts.
  • Remove the leaf spring from the vehicle.
  • Place the front bushing of the new spring into the front mounting bracket. Install the front eye bolt and nut. Make sure the bolt head is toward the center of the vehicle.
  • Place the rear bushing of the new spring into the rear shackle. Loosely install the rear eye bolt and nut.
  • Raise or lower the axle to place the leaf spring center bolt into the hole on the axle pad.
  • Install the U-bolts and retainer bracket. Snug the U-bolt nuts down but do not tighten. If necessary, reattach the parking brake cable. Attach the lower shock mount to the axle bracket.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Gwaii suggested this and I had some success;
Cut the head of the bolt off.
Use some anti-seize on the threads.
Make sure the nut is fully threaded on or you will pull the threads off the bolt or nut.
Add some washers behind the nut and tighten.
Add more washers as needed.
Eventually you'll pull the bolt through.
Good luck,

Richard

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I actually just got done on saturday doing the exact same thing.
Make sure you have before you start
*Can of antiseize.
*9/16x5 grade 8 bolts(2),nuts(2),and washers.(4)
*I think 1/2x1 1/2 in grade 8bolt and nut.(2) for the leaf spring bolt swap.
*good cut off wheels.
*a crowfoot to get the front hanger nut from behind.
*New u-bolts in 2 7/8

What i did is take the bolt that came with the shackle that would go in the leafs and put it in the front hanger since i could not get the exact size I wanted. The bolt in the leafs needs to be turns otherwise cut it off. Put the 1/2 in. I had to round the head off a little to fit in the axle perch. and drill out the plate that hold the leafs spring to the axle. Also you will possible need to get new u-bolts. All mine broke. Just give your self a weekend. Also bp blaster will be your best friend.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals