• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

leaf spring d30 swap. which years

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i am going to do a D30 swap on my ranger, ive talked it all over with mu buddys/brother/dad and i decided thats what im gonna do with her for these reasons
1)why a d30? because its close to ranger width(need to be street legal) and ill only be running 33s

2)why leafs? its more simple than radius arms, coils, trac bar, even though I would love to fab up all that stuff, i want it to be stiff to handle the weight of a snow plow

3) after owning 1 rig with a straight axle, i wouldnt have any other project without it

4) mine only has the hybrid d35 ttb so i would want to be changing that diff for the real d35 anyways

questions;

1) which years(if any) did leaf sprung D30s come with CAD? i want to avoid the cad right? (axle will most likely be from cherokee)

2) are the leafs from the d30 2.5" wide like the ranger leafs? reason for asking, i would add some ranger rear leafs for extra strength/stiffness. i want this to be tough

3) will my driveshaft bolt up to the d30 diff? or will i have to combine the 2 shafts? (not a problem if need be)

4) i am lost on steering. will the d30 drag link bolt up to my pitman arm? if not what should i do? tie my ranger drag link (pitman arm end) into the jeep drag link?

anything else i need to know about, please feel free to let me know

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I don't think cherokees were made with leaves, could be wrong though. There's a writeup in the tech library on the d30 and which ones to get. Id go with coils myself, much easier and better ride plus its not all that difficult to setup. I bought my longarms for mine, ya there cheaper ones out there but I was recommend the ones I have by another member on here who used them for his d30 SAS. I'm the second person to use this brand on there ranger for a d30 SAS, and I am not dissapointed with them. For more info on all that, the link to my build thread is in my sig.

As for the driveshaft, I have to get my lengthened 2 inches but the ujoint size is the same, so all is good there.

As for the draglink, the ranger tierod will fit into the jeeps draglink, I'm running the jeep one on mine at the moment though plus on a stock pitman arm. I have a little toe in on mine but next spring I'm building a custom steering setup.

With leaves, you with have to reinforce the front of the frame where the bumper is due to that being a crush zone of the frame.

Hope some of this helps you out.

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Ditto on the XJs being coil sprung.. both of mine are and i know for a fact that 89and newer XJs are too. There is a kit however that some of the guys on the jeep forums use to convert over to a leaf sprung setup.

If your biggest reason for wanting leaves vs. coils is stiffness....use ranger or f150 coils. No where near as much flex but way stiffer. Personally i think going coils instead of leaves would be easier..

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys. I mentioned cherokee because they are the only ones around here going for scrap, all the jeeps are either still on the road and wanting 2k+ for them, or are all dolled up for offroad. im looking for a cheap parts rig with probably the motor or trans gone or somethin, only want to pay 100 - 200 bucks, i knwo where theres a cherokee for sale not far from me and if i can get her for cheap ill grind off some ranger 7.5 leaf spring perches and get a leaf pack somewhere, or make one. again, thanks

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I can get a leaf sprung D30 now for 50 bucks, it just needs the shafts and wheel bearings. you guys think i should do it?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
i wouldnt man, since ur just gettin a diferential casing.
if it needs shafts, its deff abused to death.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I would try to get one from a j/y, so that you can see what condition the vehicle it comes from plus how many miles are on it, etc....

If you really want to use leaves, then cut off all the stuff from a coil sprung d30 and weld some spring perches on it.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
yea im gonna pass on this axle. my buddy has a cherokee i can get for cheap so i can just convert that one to leafs

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals