• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leaf Sag Temporary Fix

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
My 95 4x4's driver side leaf spring is sagging about 3/4 to 1" lower than the passenger side. I'm going to install an autozone drop shackle on the driver side to lift it up 3/4".

My question is, will that work for a while? Has anyone ever done this for a sagging spring.

I just want something to get the driver side up until I get the money to buy front leaf hangers and probably two new leaf packs. I called a place that builds/rebuilds leafs and I can get them for 141.00 new each.

I don't want to get explorer springs, the back is already a good bit higher than the front now.

Any input would be appreciated...

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't use 2 different shackle lengths...it will cause the rear to handle awkwardly....

you could goto a JY that has a newer wrecked Ranger with low miles to replace both leaf packs.....way cheaper than new leafs, and just as good...

personally, I would get Ex leafs and do the washer mod to raise the front of your truck...stay away from the urethane coil spacers....

l8r, John

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
2 different shackles.... might make the axle act weird upon hitting bumps at speed. idk tho?? i've never tried it.

now i have done it to where i had 2" blocks for a friend. his truck was an inch lower on the driver side, so we cut an inch off the block on the passenger side. so he had a 2" block driver/ and a 1" block passenger. but a level truck. lol

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
I wouldn't use 2 different shackle lengths...it will cause the rear to handle awkwardly....

you could goto a JY that has a newer wrecked Ranger with low miles to replace both leaf packs.....way cheaper than new leafs, and just as good...

personally, I would get Ex leafs and do the washer mod to raise the front of your truck...stay away from the urethane coil spacers....

l8r, John

How would a 3/4" to 1" shackle difference make it handle awkwardly? Would it be any more awkward than having 1 bad rear shock? (I just replaced my shocks, and the passenger side was toast. You could compress it with 2 fingers and then it would stay compressed on its own...) :)

I will look around JY's when I get the money to replace everything. Last time I bought front rear hangers they were like $35 a piece not counting bolts. I want to do it all at once, front hangers and leafs, so I will have to wait until I get more cash.

I'd like to lift the front a little, but then I would have to get adjustable camber bushings, and have it realigned. For now I don't want to lift my 4x4, so I will probably not get explorer leafs. I would need more than washer spacers, the way it sits now, the front is a few inches lower than the rear. Besides, it has stock 235's, if I lift it, then I will want bigger tires to even out the look... Even more money! :D

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Simple, when the suspension moves, the other shackle will move in a larger arch then the factory one.

Worse case, just have a fat chick sit in the passenger side.

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
Simple, when the suspension moves, the other shackle will move in a larger arch then the factory one.

Worse case, just have a fat chick sit in the passenger side.
Ok. I was going to install it in the lowest position, which would be about 3/4" or so lift. Do you think that much of a larger arch would be a problem?

Right, fat chick leveling kit. That's funny...

Will those half size helper springs give me 3/4" inch lift?

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
How would a 3/4" to 1" shackle difference make it handle awkwardly? Would it be any more awkward than having 1 bad rear shock? (I just replaced my shocks, and the passenger side was toast. You could compress it with 2 fingers and then it would stay compressed on its own...) :)

I will look around JY's when I get the money to replace everything. Last time I bought front rear hangers they were like $35 a piece not counting bolts. I want to do it all at once, front hangers and leafs, so I will have to wait until I get more cash.

I'd like to lift the front a little, but then I would have to get adjustable camber bushings, and have it realigned. For now I don't want to lift my 4x4, so I will probably not get explorer leafs. I would need more than washer spacers, the way it sits now, the front is a few inches lower than the rear. Besides, it has stock 235's, if I lift it, then I will want bigger tires to even out the look... Even more money! :D
just do it the free way and swap the leafs from left to right and right to left :icon_confused:,

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'd find an old overload from a chevy or ranger leaf pack, and cut it down to 4.5" or 5" or what ever the spring perch length is and then put it under the sagging leaf. Thats what I did when i had the exact same problem....

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals