• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lawn mower fuel pressure?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My old yazoo has a K582 kohler (23hp, Opposed twin, cast iron).

The fuel pump quit, ive tried a couple different pumps but all thats available are chinese ones. Ive tried 3 now and i cant get more then a trickle of fuel from it.

I bought a rebuild kit but the one on it also wasnt OEM, so rebuilding it didnt go well.

Fuel lines are new, so i dont know if what drives the pump is wore or what.

My question is what PSI do these run at? I know a carb on a vehicle is around 6psi IIRC. I found some universal 12v pumps that run from 2.5-4psi...think that would be to much? Not enough? Just right?

Opinions please.

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't think you would need much pressure, it would be volume that matters.

Motorcycles use a gravity fed fuel system.

EDIT Old carbureted ones any way.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I don't think you would need much pressure, it would be volume that matters.

Motorcycles use a gravity fed fuel system.

EDIT Old carbureted ones any way.
Right...im actually more worried about over gassing it rather then starving it.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It's low, don't think it's a psi... if you can't get fuel, pull your fuel tank and rinse it out backward, most have a screen in the outlet melted into the plastic and yours is probably plugged... you could test that, put the fuel line low and get it flowing, it should flow freely, if not then there's a restriction in the tank... my tractor has a big metal tank and there was a wood chip in the outlet that had bounced around long enough it had taken the shape of the outlet and blocked off fuel...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
It's low, don't think it's a psi... if you can't get fuel, pull your fuel tank and rinse it out backward, most have a screen in the outlet melted into the plastic and yours is probably plugged... you could test that, put the fuel line low and get it flowing, it should flow freely, if not then there's a restriction in the tank... my tractor has a big metal tank and there was a wood chip in the outlet that had bounced around long enough it had taken the shape of the outlet and blocked off fuel...
Mines got a big steel mounted tank on the side. It has to get sucked up through a steel tube about 1.5ft in length.

I didnt think about removing the tank and trying that. However i do know i can suck fuel up by mouth with very little effort. I shined a light down into the tank and it looked about spotless. But ill give it a try

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you can suck fuel then it should be ok, the other thing is the impulse line for the fuel pump, I don't remember where they go but make sure the line is reasonable, it either goes to crankcase pressure or intake manifold pressure probably on one of the two intake tubes so it pulses...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If you can suck fuel then it should be ok, the other thing is the impulse line for the fuel pump, I don't remember where they go but make sure the line is reasonable, it either goes to crankcase pressure or intake manifold pressure probably on one of the two intake tubes so it pulses...
This one actually is lever drive like a vehicle.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> Ive tried 3 now and i cant get more then a trickle of fuel from it.

That would tell me it is YOU and not them ;)

PSI is very low, it is basically gravity fed at that point. Unless the engine is running 1800-3600 RPMs all you will get is a trickle because that is all that is needed to fill the sediment bowl so the engine vacuum from cranking can draw the fuel out into the carb. Cranking only produces a minimum amount of vacuum vs. running at 3600 rpms.

From my experience fixing the larger 22 HP FR651 twin Kawasaki ZTR mowers, riding lawn mowers, and such.

First, change ALL the fuel lines and vacuum lines.

Then check that the fuel cut off solenoid at the bottom of the carb is functioning correctly with key on. Take it off and watch for the plunger to pop off when in the VERTICAL position, just as if it was attached.

If it still does not pump gas, then check the valve lash and do it according to spec. Then do a compression test. I like to do a compression test before and after, which will tell you how successful your valve adjustment was. I found this handy for the Ford 2.8L too.

I have had no problems with the knock off JD/Kawasaki fuel pumps from Amazon, your mileage may vary. If you have a 3 connector fuel pump you can always go to a JD dealer and get one that is OEM Kawasaki FR651. e-replacements only sells OEM parts and I have used them with success too.

Not a 2 or 4 cycle small engine expert, but, I buy 2-6 riding mowers/tractors a year to fix up, use, or sell. So, I have seen a thing or two, and this is how I approach them BEFORE replacing the fuel pump.

If you want to test the pump, after all that, you could run it on starting fluid and carb clean for a few seconds. I would not because the risk of engine damage, but, just throwing it out there.

$0.02

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel filter ? Also, My buddy is a service manager at a mower shop and he said he has to re-drill out a lot of the orafices in the carbs from china, the orafices don't match up to the specs claimed so he has to widen them with micro drills so the fuel flows better....

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I actually got the electric pump on and hooked up and its running good now. Untill something else breaks.

I love the mower...but it was a mistake buying a somewhat low production mower built by a company that went under in 1994

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I actually got the electric pump on and hooked up and its running good now. Untill something else breaks.

I love the mower...but it was a mistake buying a somewhat low production mower built by a company that went under in 1994
The things you learn after the purchase...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The things you learn after the purchase...
I bought it cauae it was big, cool looking, ran good and has a K582 kohler. That bastard will mow through a fridge.

Now i gotta get the old gravely 18h going.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals