• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

later model dream beams on older truck

Gregin30655

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger GT
Transmission
Manual
Good morning all, I have an 88 GT I am doing DJM dream beams on and was told if I do a later model beam (from a 89-97 truck?) I can do the knuckle/spindle off those trucks with a dual piston caliper and improve braking. Is this all that is needed? Also, does this set up affect wheel offset any? Does this spindle/knuckle setup stick out further? I am ordering wheels when I order the lowering kit and dont want parts that dont fit well together.
Thank you for your help;
GC

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need the knuckle to go with it, only 95-97 had the bolt on dual piston calipers.

I don't think the beams matter on a 2wd but don't quote me on that.

You will need the soft brake lines to the calipers. In conjunction with an Explorer rear disk brake axle I also went to a '85 F-350 master cylinder, the stock one wasn't enough. I was fine with the Explorer axle and the stock front calipers so you might keep that in mind too.

Hopefully somebody chimes in that knows more about 2wd's... I have a '97 axle in my '85 but it is 4wd.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
To do dual piston brakes on an 88 you need:

89-97 beams
95-97 knuckles (they won't fit 83-88 beams, different ball joint config)
95-97 calipers, rotors, and pads

Hoses will need to be replaced, but at 21 years old they probably need it anyway. What hoses work best will depend on what your truck has now, namely on the frame end of your driver side hose.

For the driver side. On some 88s there is a t-block on the frame rail that splits front brakes between driver and passenger side. On other 88s the block is built into the driver side hose end at the frame. If you have the separate block on the frame you need the 95-97 ABS hose, if the block is built into the hose you need a 97 non-ABS hose.

For the passenger side and 95-97 hose should work fine.

I checked on the track width after your post in the other thread yesterday. From everything I can tell the track width is same 55 inches from 83-97. So the brake and beam swap should not affect track width. I've also never heard of it being an issue in the nearly 20 years I've been around these trucks.

Gregin30655

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger GT
Transmission
Manual
Great info, thank you. I have a ton of stuff coming and making sure as I buy the big fun stuff I don’t lose track of the detail that makes it all work. I’m finishing a couple home projects and then hopefully October will see about $4k in upgrades make their way into a $2k truck! 🤦🏻‍♂️😂
Then the decision whether to do a Tbird turbo coupe motor and trans or rebuild the 2.9 and add a little boost. My buddy has a Tbird swap sitting and ready if I want it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals