• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Laptop won't connect to the internet.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
My laptop isn't connecting to the internet. I reformatted it on sunday, so it is as clean as it can be. But when I plug in the internet cable, it says it is connected, and when I go online, it says page can not be displayed. I've tried repairing the IP address since it has worked in the past, but that hasn't helped. I know it's not my internet because my desktop is plugged into it and that's how I am typing my post.....

I have a Gateway and I'm running XP Media Edition. Any help would be great. Thanks guys and gals.

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
Check your proxy settings.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Are you using wireless on the laptop? Are you using a router to connect multiple computers to the internet through one modem?

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Check your proxy settings.
Ditto...

Go into your Networks and Dal-up Connections section in the Control Panel on the desktop and, if you have a printer, print out the network settings used on that computer...then check the laptop to make sure they are the same settings...

But most of the computers I"ve ever used with XP don't need any configuration adjustments...unless you need to turn off the Firewall or have somehow blocked your internet through firewall software...

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
It's not wireless, and I'm not sure where the modem is, a cable is ran through the floor into my room, so might be in my room mates room, I'll check with him tomorrow and see if I can reset it.

I forgot to mention that I brought it to Geek Squad today before I posted this and it connected to their net just fine, and I'm pretty sure I disabled the wireless so it wasn't that. Left me :icon_confused:. The girl was cute though so it was alright. But thanks for the help guys.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Cool...did you get it working or try another ethernet cable?

Anyways, always helps when you get to see a cutie to help you solve a problem...

One note on that...if you ever call some tech support line and get a girl that sounds hot...when I was working for Epson in their call center there were many girls...some where actually very pretty...but the majority were on the chubby side...so don't hit on them until you see a picture of them...unless, of course, you don't care...

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
No I haven't tried yet. I had to run a bunch of errands around town so I'm going to try it when I get home from work tonight. As far as the proxy settings, I guess I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not completly computer retarded but I don't know a lot of things lol.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The message is that the network connection is not connected? That doesn't sound like a proxy issue or even a configuration issue at all. Sounds like you don't have physical connection with a network device on the other end.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
you have a fresh install? is there a firewall? sometimes firewalls and routers do not get along.

If you have a firewall running on the laptop try turning the firewall off and see if you get a page up. If thats the case and you want to keep the firewall up (which is never a bad thing) you will need to put the notebooks IP address into the DMZ on the router. and once thats done don't forget to turn the firewall back on.

alternatively you can get other firewall programs. and try them out.

that above is only if you are having firewall issues.

its also possible that you need to update the driver for your network card. did the notebook come with a install disk? if so check it to see if it has network drivers on it. and try those.

and of course try another Ethernet cable. they do have a tendency to go bad.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
The reason I was trying to get the laptop up was to have a faster computer than this desktop. Still no luck with the internet crap after changing the IP address and the subnet mask. Well a while back I bought two 1g sticks of ram for the desktop, and for some reason when I put them in, the computer wouldnt turn on, well the fans would, but it would make this really annoying ass beep. It has 4 ram slots and each pair of 2 is a different style. It had 2 256's in it, those were one style, and the 1g's I bought were the other. Tonight my room mate Nick was helping me out with the ram situation, apparently it was only recognizing one stick of 256 so that's why is was balls slow. I could'a swore I took the old ones out when I was trying this oh, maybe 2 months ago? Nick, who's drunk, says, "take those out and put this in." Hands me a 512 stick thats the same style as the 1g. Fire it up and what do you know, it says its runnin 512. Shut it down, pop the 2g's and it works.....I dont know what the hell I was doing but this thing rips a hell of a lot better than it did, I guess I can't mix different types......Laptops going back in the closet.......But thanks for the attempted help guys:icon_thumby:

h3o

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
what ip are you pulling when you connect through the ethernet? also what are you using to connect, broadband? pppoe?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals