• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Laptop screen issues

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
I have an HP laptop, and i've had it for about 5 years now, never had any issues...Until yesterday when the screen started flickering, with these little lines shooting across the screen. After a minute or two, the screen went black. I restarted it, and it started with the screen flickering again, then went black after about 5 seconds. Everything is still working in the background, and you can barely see it on the screen when it's black.

So, with that said....any idea what it could be?

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
That kind of sounds like a backlighting issue. Might have to get a new screen.

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
So basically, a new computer? I could only imagine the price of a new screen...

delaware74b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Couple questions 74: what model HP laptop? Can you connect it to an external monitor? If so, does the external monitor display proper image?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Your screen has an inverter. My money is on that. They are usually around 10 - 20 dollars. Check on Ebay with your model number.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
you need to shoot AllanD a pm

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Do you have an external desktop monitor around?

If so connect it to the notebook and see if you get a display on the external desktop minotor.

Does it display?

Note: you often have to "switch on" the external monitor
(On HP-Compaq's typically Function button plus the F4 key does this)

the reason I ask this is that I'm trying to eliminate an issue with the video controller.

If you DO get an external monitor to display the problem could be the monitor itself
(not likely considering you see a dim image) at this point shane96ranger is likely right it's the "inverter board" which is the power supply for the flourescent backlight for the Display.

these aren't terribly difficult to change, nor are they very expensive for most notebooks.

AD

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
Do you have an external desktop monitor around?

If so connect it to the notebook and see if you get a display on the external desktop minotor.
This is exactly what I was thinking, however I don't have one here. I'll try it next weekend, my dad has a couple lying around. I'll let you know what happens.

I started my computer yesterday, after a day of not touching it. It worked...for a while. I was able to get past the startup screen, and get on the internet. However I walked away from it for a few minutes and when I came back, it was a black screen again. It worked for almost 10 minutes, and was flickering when I first started it, but then stopped flickering and worked normaly for most of that 10 minutes...until it went off again.

I'm just glad to hear it may be some inexpensive part. Gives me a bit of hope.

It's a HP Pavillion dv9535nr. It's got the 17" WXGA high def brightview widescreen.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Reading your description really makes me think your inverter is the culprit. They are as low as 6 dollars on Ebay, but it ships from Hong Kong. I'd pay the extra to get it from the USA.

Ships from Hong Kong ($6)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Screen-Inverter-Board-HP-Pavilion-DV9500-431391-001-/300528795345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f8e97ed1

Ships from New Mexico ($17)
http://cgi.ebay.com/17-HP-Pavilion-dv9000-dv9200-LCD-INVERTER-T18I085-00-/180594875796?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0c4b1d94

delaware74b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I sounds like the inverter is shutting down because there is a short or overload condition. The CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) is just like a fluorescent tube, as they age they require more voltage and current to keep them lit. As a result, the inverter 'thinks' the bad lamp is shorted and shuts down. All LCD flat panels (desktop or laptop) have inverter protection for this reason. If you research '2 seconds to black' for LCD's you'll find a lot of info.
Bottom line: try a new inverter first because it's the cheapest. If not, you can probably buy a new panel which comes with the CCFL's already installed and takes 1-2 hours to replace. I have my own part-time computer repair business and it's an easy money maker for an hour's of work to replace it.

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
Reading your description really makes me think your inverter is the culprit. They are as low as 6 dollars on Ebay, but it ships from Hong Kong. I'd pay the extra to get it from the USA.

Ships from Hong Kong ($6)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Screen-Inverter-Board-HP-Pavilion-DV9500-431391-001-/300528795345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f8e97ed1

Ships from New Mexico ($17)
http://cgi.ebay.com/17-HP-Pavilion-dv9000-dv9200-LCD-INVERTER-T18I085-00-/180594875796?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0c4b1d94
Thanks for looking that stuff up for me! I just ordered the one out of New Mexico. Should be here by friday. SWWEEEEET! Hopefully it's the problem.

On a cool side note, I just found out I had $21 in my paypal account that I had no clue about... So it's kinda like a free part. :headbang:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
HP laptops are know to have display issues and video card problems. Right now mine is doing what is called the 4 split screen. After researching about it I found out that it is a hardware problem (video card) and sice it is solidered to the mother boeard, it would just be bst to order a new laptop then to try to fix this one (which should be arriving tomorrow). I like HP computers dont get me wrong, hp was the first computers that my family has owned but due to this problem, it may be my last one. Mine had a recal on it but after installing windows7 (from vista) and having to put a new screen on it, I doubt they would touch it. Its an HP dv6500 home entertainment edition. My split screen issue doesnt happen when I conneect it to an external monitor but my computer says there is an issue with the driveer for the screen but it just cant fix it. Basiclly my display is the size of a netbook on a 15.4 inch screen with 3 other partial ones around it.

As for what is replacing this one, its a Lenovo. This one will be my backup/storeage computer.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
ALL laptops are "known to have screen issues"

CCF failure
CCF "inverter" powersupply issues
Cable fatigue from flexing the video cable every time it is opened or closed....

Laptops are designed to be used for 2-3 years then discarded.

Nature of the beast.

AD

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
Sooooo.....I'm not getting the part.

I got an email today saying that the parts they had (including the one I ordered) were in imperfect condition, and that they wouldn't have new ones for at least another month. They offered me a full refund, which i'm taking, and hopefully it all goes through. Guess I gotta look for another one...

I really hoped to get this damn thing running this weekend.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals