• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ladder rack, which one and where to buy?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I was gonna post something similar. My F-150 needs a rack. definitely will need removable headache bar. I have plenty of material at the moment, was thinking of just making my own, probably using square tube. the few bends necessary I could easily cut miters and weld in, Plus I like the look of square instead of round. It also seems to help things be not crooked.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was gonna post something similar. My F-150 needs a rack. definitely will need removable headache bar. I have plenty of material at the moment, was thinking of just making my own, probably using square tube. the few bends necessary I could easily cut miters and weld in, Plus I like the look of square instead of round. It also seems to help things be not crooked.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
What about powder coat for steel? Its way more durable than paint.
It is indeed. It's also pricey, and it also requires a really well prepped surface to hold up over the long haul. Cleaning off weld splatter, sandblasting, etc. That's all labor intense, and at some point all that labor ends up costing so much that aluminum starts to become cost effective.

Ladder racks are tough duty items if they are really used.. and abused.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Attachments

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
This is how I did it. Used two bolts per side.
Awesome also useful, thanks! I am trying to attach it without drilling holes in the bed, but rather use existing ones. I found some 2x3 stock that fits perfectly in the square holes at the corners. I welded a nut in them so they drop in and bolt through from hole is on the inside that most people hook tie downs to. They stick out a bit, but I am thinking to cut them flush to bed rail, weld some plate to em, and build off that.

I might do a modified version of your design, where I would have bolts pinch clamp it from underneath rather than go through the side...

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Awesome also useful, thanks! I am trying to attach it without drilling holes in the bed, but rather use existing ones. I found some 2x3 stock that fits perfectly in the square holes at the corners. I welded a nut in them so they drop in and bolt through from hole is on the inside that most people hook tie downs to. They stick out a bit, but I am thinking to cut them flush to bed rail, weld some plate to em, and build off that.

I might do a modified version of your design, where I would have bolts pinch clamp it from underneath rather than go through the side...

I also thought about doing something similar, using the stake holes to bolt it in. I would like to build a removable section for the rear, to use for my canoe. I would like to see some pictures of your setup when you are done.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Just keep in mind guys, the 2019+ Rangers don’t have stake holes for some reason. Not an option for them.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just keep in mind guys, the 2019+ Rangers don’t have stake holes for some reason. Not an option for them.

I have a friend with a 2001 F150 that doesn't have stake holes either, very strange.

I looked it up, and ford does not have stake pockets on any of the new rangers, but don't worry. Ford off the "Volume expansion assembly for pickup cargo space" that hooks onto the proprietary ford cargo management tie downs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals