• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lack of heat

puck_nuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 97 Ranger with a 4.0 L engine and I am having a problem getting heat in the cab. Temp. gauge shows engine is heating up. I have replaced the thermostat, that's fine. Both fluid lines into the firewall/heater core heat up, although one does seem warmer than the other. The Heat Control Valve does function, (not sure if it is properly or not). Fan is also blowing good. Heater Control Valve??? Looking for any ideas what else may be wrong. Winter is coming and it gets cold in Manitoba. Please help with any suggestions you may have.:beer:

J281v8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 266K
Transmission
Manual
Maybe a plugged heater core. Has it ever been replaced? How many miles on your truck?
Jim

puck_nuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
To my knowledge it hasn't. Really don't know though. The truck has 286,000 km on it. My assumption was that the core was okay, because the hoses into the firewall/heater core get fairly warm, almost hot.

J281v8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 266K
Transmission
Manual
Sorry for the late reply. But in your post you mentioned one hose was cooler than the other. That would point to a plugged core. You said the control valve is working. I put one on mine to get the A/C to work better. Have you watched it actuate when vacuum is applied and released? It could be broken and the flap to flow coolant could be staying shut. Is the blend door broken?
Jim

puck_nuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have changed the thermostat, ( first thing I tried), as the engine does not seem to come up to temp.
Now I have flushed the heater core, with no results. I then removed the glove box and located the actuator on top of the heater box. It sounds like the actuator is operating when you adjust the temperature.
The heat control valve also seems to be operating when you switch between heat and max. A/C. Other than switching between heat and max. A/C the control valve does not move. Should it?
My next step is to replace the thermostat, again. Maybe I got a dud.

Any other suggestions are really appreciated.

J281v8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 266K
Transmission
Manual
Is there a valve in the heater lines under the hood next to the air cleaner?

puck_nuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No. Just the Heat Control Valve on the lines going into the firewall/heater core.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals